How many people are there without a top-up?

Has anybody any figures on how many people/families don’t have a complémentaire? I know CSS is there to provide for people on low income etc but I’m guessing that wouldn’t be taken up by all. I wonder how many decide to go without, take the risk as it were.

A couple of chance conversations gave me occasion to ponder the question; a retired couple paying for a decent top-up (over €100 a month) remarked how some new glasses cost €15, and a couple with hospitalisation only paid “very little” when she had an accident recently. I’ve never done the figures to attempt to quantify the risk but I’m sure some have and decided not to bother with top-up, or have decided they can’t afford, have different priorities etc.

I’m not judging but I am interested.

1 Like

is your question generic across France or specifically SF’ers?
The results may be different…

Either which and both.

My understanding is that people on VERY low incomes don’t need a top-up as the state will cover most of their needs. However, the majority of people (French) that I’ve encountered without one are young and fit and quite happy to pay the extra 7 euros or whatever above the state support if they need to see a GP.

1 Like

if you are looking at a view from SF’ers, why not build a poll on this topic? Click the cogwheel icon in the edit panel on your OP to set it up.
I’m sure someone will find a French wide reference for comparison…

Personally, I had been so busy with sorting out all the other various bits and pieces since moving here permanently, the health top up was quite low on the list. I then read some comments on SF and also speaking to folks around, I’ve decided that, at my age, and being what I consider to be fit and healthy, I wont go for the top up just yet as I don’t think the cost/risk equation stacks up.

1 Like

We have a Mutuelle. In the past, it has paid out more than we have paid in. At the moment, we are at a stalemate… as I haven’t broken anything recently… and OH is doing “ok”… (hurrah)
A Mutuelle is something I would not want to be without…

5 Likes

We set up a mutuelle in March but as we can’t get a dentist and possibly can’t get an eye test can we complain that it was mis-sold?

One can understand that context. It is probably a decision that sharpens with age.

In the current economic climate, I’m sure people are making tough choices, and doing without a top-up I could imagine is one such choice.

what mutuelle have you got which guarantees RDV’s?

1 Like

I’m sure you’re not alone in that decision. I think a lot of people will have made a similar call.

1 Like

Do you simply need your sight-prescription… or are you looking for an Opthalmo to do the “eye-health” side of things…?
EDIT: just realised it’s for Eye Health, as you’ve said on another thread.
Have you now spoken with your own Doctor about the delay in getting an Optho Appointment… just wondering if it is urgent enough to pursue via other options.

If it’s of any consolation (and I’m sure it’s none!) top-ups tend not to have decent cover on dental/optical care anyway!

(I’m being ironic btw! I know that if you pay more, you get better cover - even if not everything)

Of course, it all depends on the level of cover one chooses for such things… :+1: :wink:

Of course I haven’t got a mutuelle that guarantees RDVs but it seems odd that more isn’t being done to help people. After all dental infections can lead to worse health problems and poor eyesight can lead to all sorts of accidents. Is it worth asking the provider (April) for any suggestions on finding a dentist etc?

did you try Doctolib?

I would be happy with an eye test but MT seems to want me to see an opthalmologist, which he says are like hen’s teeth. Maybe its because it will be the first time in France. My first mammogram was very thorough and I was given an ultrasound exam too.

Not yet, waiting to hear back from MT first regarding eye test. Rang lots of dentists a while ago, perhaps its time to try again.

1 Like

If your lenses are straighforward and just need changing/updating… an opticien can surely do the test… well, most of them around here can… perhaps not all over France…

If your Doc simply wants an MOT done on your eyes… for reference… accept/make that appoinment for some future date . You will doubtless need to wait… so be it.

In the last year, there is/was a move afoot to encourage/allow opticiens to do Tests for new glasses, to relieve the load on Opthalmos…

1 Like

A new issue for British pensioners is that they are no longer eligible for the CSS, the free/low cost mutuelle, if they have an S1. So there is a group of people without a lot of money and now with no cover, and perhaps struggling to afford any cover at all.

We started with a 100% mutuelle but found it wasn’t worth the money as the more costly acts tended to have big dépassements. So it cost more than it paid back. So we gave that up, and put the money in a savings account instead.

Now we are older, so have a hospital only policy, not expensive and covers the biggest risk of unaffordable (ie €000s) bills. The difference between that an a full on 300% mutuelle also goes into a savings account - which is now looking rather healthy :grin:

In conversation with Fabien (the SF recommended broker) it is common with British people just to go for hospital cover, so I guess there are quite a lot in the halfway house.

So to answer your question we have:

• had no mutuelle for many years
  • a very basic mutuelle for a year
  • hospital only mutuelle for several years now

So the answer to you question could be depend on the stage of life and finances of the people you ask!!

And all French employed people will have am employer provided mutuelle, often an extremely good one.

2 Likes