How much does your hobby/interest cost you?

I have always loved cars, sold the exotic one when we moved here permanently in 2018. I decided to buy a French exotic last year :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Our little runabout.

She is one of 60 Morgan built in 2012 to celebrate their class win at Le Mans in ‘62. The motor has throttle bodies, modified camshafts and exhaust so puts out around 200 BHP. All 60 were RHD but the Morgan dealer, of many decades standing, in Milan bought three, two white and one (ours) RAF blue, and changed them to LHD. So she’s unique.

Bit like myself :wink:

10 Likes

how many bags of cement can you get in that?

3 Likes

If you’re asking me, I’d say one on the passenger seat and one on the luggage rack :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

€30 on a new computer game every 3-4 months. Just about to spend €15 to upgrade my PC to Windows 10.

I’ve not had time for any hobbies over the past 20 years, but thats shortly going to change​:slightly_smiling_face:. One of the first things I need to do is check the state of my fishing gear​:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:
And to check my vinyl, sorted out most of the old hi-fi but I need a new record deck. Thinking about one of these.

1 Like

Some of my collection.

2 Likes

1 Like

That is very nice indeed

I probably have £3-£3.5 k in photographic kit, collected over several years. In the 80s I did paid work to fund the kit, then stopped as life became too busy, before restarting in 2013.

There’s also a bunch of guitars and amps, but the collection period of those is about 45 years, though I did have a new guitar, the first in several years, this Christmas, and expect paid gigs to cover the cost. I plan to start shedding gear soon, because a lot of it, like some of the amps, will never be used.

2 Likes

Thanks Mat, It was a pension lump sum that should have partly gone on the garage roof replacement but i reckon the roof will last a few more years :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Lovely to drive with fantastic handling :sunglasses:, so much better than the vastly over rated Alfa 4C.

I’ve had a few cars (37 at last count), for instance an Aston Martin DB9 (a bit disappointing) and a Ferrari 355 (kept it ten years) but the A110 is a lovely, small, agile sports car - I am 6 foot 4 but i fit perfectly as the CEO at the time of A110 version 2 was a dutch man who was apparently 6 foot 6 so the car had to fit him :slight_smile: It puts a smile on my face every time i pull the covers off (anti cat protection) and take her out for a trip.

1 Like

Love cars, but books are a lot cheaper to buy and maintain.

I probably spend around €500 pa on research books while OH spends rather more on canvases, oil paint and framing. Unfortunately she’s the only one who makes a profit

3 Likes

My mate has an original and a new one, it’s one of the sweetest handling cars I have driven.
I know what you mean about putting a smile on your face, the Jaguar XFRs was a Jaguar development car, 600bhp, tweeked suspension and brembo brakes, fun with a capital F, the 1972 Saab 95 has 20k miles and the freewheeling V4 only has only 70bhp, but on a Sunday it was the only car I would always take out for a drive.

1 Like

My wife spends very little on herself - wool mostly and I’m often a beneficiary.
I don’t spend a great deal but enjoy electronics and hifi. I prefer to buy second hand (peculiarly called pre-owned these days) for vfm. I like tinkering with valve amplifiers - they look so cool in the dark. I want to take up classical or maybe bossa-nova guitar when we move to France. I see myself playing it in a sunny garden. Maybe a return to motorcycling - something Italian for a trip to the mountains.
My wife’s expenditure may rise in France with a decent garden rather than our postage stamp and she may finally feel relaxed enough to indulge her interest for painting and perhaps tapestry. We were inspired by a visit here - Atelier musée Jean Lurçat | Musées

2 Likes

Genealogy.
Probably spend around 400 euros per year on subscriptions that allow me to research my ancestors or anyone’s past family.
When I am satisfied with my research I then write a life story of each individual which briefly makes them real again.
Its a learning curve knowing where to find information which I find captivating.

2 Likes

You’ve only got my ‘like’ on the assumption it wasn’t Man City :wink:

Mind you, when I was a teenager and Utd were playing too far from M/c to easily hitch hike there, we used to go down to Maine Rd and hope we’d see City lose - that was in the days of Bell and Summerbee (who was always referred to as ‘Winter Wasp’)

Being a ‘scummer’ you’re not much of football fan anyway but I thought you might have sussed out which team it was from the badge. :grinning:

Eloquent as ever!

Tim, you do have my sympathy, but I never took much notice of Leed’s strips - always the same boring, dirty white, but at least they’re no longer a dirty boring team. Nevertheless, the only good thing to ever come from Elland Rd was Eric - and thanks for that!