How much does your hobby/interest cost you?

Ah, horses provide so much for us humans. They, together with dogs, give us useful companionship and exercise.
My hobby, reading costs me quite a lot because I buy kindle books at 99p and probably one or two a day.
I also buy wool and I suppose that costs about £300 a year.
We don’t spend money on cinema, theatre, Netflix etc.

1 Like

Silversmithing, that’s an interesting hobby. I thought of taking a course but I’m not sure I’m imaginative or creative enough to make it worthwhile. May I ask, do you sell your work?

Just a few 100€ a year… but initial outlay is “a little more” : 3.000€ to 4.000€ for a reasonable road bike (Giant TCR advanced pro) and the same for a reaosnable vtt (Canyon Spectral cf7). But you can easily double or triple that if you want to!

I do all my own maintenance/servicing so it’s just a few tyres and parts each year plus race/rando entry fees which is diddly squat for local stuff (midi-pyrénées).

Last few years have been around the 8.000km a year on the road bike, but now I’m mostly on the VTT the kilométrage will be less but should do the same number of hours in the saddle :grin:

Hi,
no, I work only for myself and family. Chech out Nicole Ringold on Facebook. Very interesting. Go for it, either butane or propane, annealing is the thing.
Have fun :grin:.

Well my new hobby might well be sewing, I have a much loved and very warm fleece jacket which started life as the detachable liner of a cagoule I bought many years ago. Never worn that but the liner is worth its weight in gold. Problem is the zip gave up the ghost the other day and rather than go back to my new chat friend, the couturiere, I thought I would have a go at attaching velcro as I have a couple of rolls left over from the anti-fly efforts at the windows last year.

Come to think of it I also have an electric sewing machine, bought 30 odd years ago (honest, it wasn’t her birthday :roll_eyes:) and never used. How hard can it be? After all …er no, better not. :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll look at that channel :slight_smile:

It’s general term us Leeds fans use when talking about the Red team in Manchester so don’t take it personally. :smile:

As for Cantona, once he’d started messing around with Leslie Ash (Lee Chapman’s wife) he had to leave, the only shame was where he ended up!

1 Like

These days David there are videos on yourtube for everything. Just as one can learn to build a house from videos one can also learn how to use a sewing machine and put in a zip.

We have a friend who has started making his own clothes in his seventies and is already making himself jackets and jeans. :grin:

2 Likes

Took me a while to work out what the maker’s name was on the machine, turns out to be a Grtizner 1002, but no manuals on the internet have I found so far. Those that are there do not seem to be free downloads either. There is already a bobbin on it and a thread connected so I don’t want to experiment with something I have no clue about. I’ll keep on looking.

Meanwhile I have seen a simple starter instruction for manual sewing so I think I’ll give it a try first. The first thing I discovered was an answer to something that I wondered about, using a double thread and knotting the ends to anchor them at the start. :joy:

1 Like

I wonder if that was the reason, amongst others, that two friends of mine divorced. She told me once that her ambition was to have “as many shoes as Imelda Marcos”

Funny, this busines of keeping things from o/h. Seems to run in the horsey mob. The guy I bought a business from kept a horse/horses. His wife had no idea until she went into an agricultural ‘shop’ for something for the boatyard to be told, “Tell your husband his new tack is ready”.

I don’t consider photography as my hobby. I was in the business, one way or another, for 40 years. I did try giving it up but I got a tiny digital camera and it all came back. It’s something I have to do.

Today I had delivered a print of what may be the best photograph I have yet taken - in the reportage category, anyway. I think I’ve posted it before so I won’t labour the point.

Some print - 180 cms x 60 cms.

I have to be careful with money, so I wait till the printing companies max out on reductions and pounce. The 180 x 60 cost €45 + €8 p n p.

I may take up sailing again. Crewing on something comfortable, modest contribution to upkeep.

Ah … senior moment. Forgot fishing - fly fishing. I’ve fished since I dangled a pin with a scrap of something on it and pulled up crabs off the sea wall, aged 4. I still have the Mitchell multiplier I was given when I was 6. Still has the original box and the cloth bag.

Down in the cave is a whole lot of gear, waders, landing nets, rods from 8’ to 10’ in 6" increments but 2 at 9’6". Also a box I made in woodwork class, aged about 10, for fly tying kit. All the fur and feathers were reduced to dust by moths but these days much of tying material is synthetic.

When my house is finally done I think I’ll go fishing.

3 Likes

Do you do for ‘third parties’?

My mother ‘divorced’ her family aged about 17, qualified as a nurse and ‘disappeared’ into the Army in 1940. Vanished into the war, in the Far East.

Swapped her two given names around, never mentioned her family again all her life. Used to tell people she came from Kendal, Westmoreland but that was where she started her nursing training, being taken in by a local family whose daughter was also training.

Her birth cert give her place of birth and town of her father as Wolverhampton - ‘James Craven. Engineer. Wolverhampton’

Bizarre

@captainendeavour
Absolutely!
Happy to do a preliminary search and see where we go from there.
Will pm you.

What resolution are you planning on printing it? A former photo lecturer colleague told me you could get away with 200 dpi for big prints 'cos people didn’t view them as close-up assmaller prints.

Hi George,

I spend quite a bit on my musical pursuits, including equipment and lessons. It probably runs to a couple of thousand in a good (or is it ‘bad’ ?:smiley:) year.

We don’t have a large house and my other better half is incredibly understanding about the guitar rack in the bedroom and the bass stack in the wardrobe. Not to mention the keyboard in the dining room…

She’s also a keen gardener, but certainly isn’t one to blow lots of cash. Neither of us are, but I think if you can afford it without damaging your financial well-being, enjoy yourself a little.

As they say, there aren’t any pockets in a shroud.

2 Likes

Was your mum called Lucy born 31st July 1920?

Amazing Mr Marsch lasted so long, bring back Bielsa ?

What about piano tuning, pencils and paper, dog food and vets bills, newspapers … Add them up and you could be surprised.

Yes, I have just realised that I should include dogs as one of my hobbies, however one of the 2 I have is owned by an association and officially here in ‘panier retraite’ (for the rest of his life with vet bills paid by it) and the other is an elderly rescue with vet bills up to €700 guaranteed by the Phoenix ‘give an old dog a home’ vet voucher. However, they both eat healthily and the food for both is paid for by us. :grinning:

I suppose you could look on the 9 cats as a hobby, maybe €1500 - 1800 a year upkeep … that’s it they’re going :yum::laughing:

Hobby chez nous

The New Yorker