How much does your hobby/interest cost you?

It’s been printed. It almost the length of a bed ! It looks fine, as far as res is concerned. From anything more than 1.5/2m it’ll look gt.

Your colleague is right. I have seen [on screen] examples of prints 2m wide shot on 4/3 format cameras. To view such prints one must be some distance away or one will be like a spectator at WImbledon - swivel left, swivel right, swivel left, swivel right :grinning:

This is what they have on this image

I don’t think this image has had any fettling in Lightroom. If so, it can be improved because this is from a jpeg not a RAW file. That must be in a laptop still to be unpacked - I’ve only been in this house 13 months!

Their thumbnail is cropped from this, which is the actual print format.

I had to have the angle of the paving up front, the two pigeons on the rt and the lamp post on the left. But there is yet more on the original image, esp on the right, where a whole fags n newspapers kiosk has been cropped out. I s’pose that’s how we get from 10.5 Mb down to 1,66Mb for this print.

I’m not very up on dpi and x by y pixels and all that post data. I just try to max out on quality when shooting with a camera. This shot was on a Nik 600 so FX.

I now have Olympus 4/3. The quality is remarkable, for the size of the sensor. The trick is, with 4/3, to get as close to or spot on Cartier-Bresson’s rule: ‘No cropping’, thus maxing out on what the image can give. 3 x 2 is so ingrained in my vision now that that’s not a problem. Wider is OK also, as per this shot.

I must now paint the wall it will go on a dark grey - maybe the Fallow and Ball tone 'Normandy Grey’ would be most appropriate. I must look it up. Mounted with a thin white border, should look spiffing.

3 Likes

@captainendeavour
I have traced your family which I think might have some surprises for you!
Please get in touch.

Isn’t that a bit weird? That you can trace other peoples’ famillies? :thinking:

Records are public.

2 Likes

I’m a great believer in ‘you should never go back’ so whilst Bielsa did amazing things for the club it’s not the right move.

Acted on a request.
Nothing wierd about it.
Your life is more public than you might think and when you are gone every official record enters the public domain.
A fascinating subject.

5 Likes

Pity that relegation doesn’t follow the same sentiment of never going back😃

2 Likes

I was working with computer graphics, film scanners and Photoshop when photography was still analogue, so printing resolutions were already well engrained. One of the joys of having spent virtually one’s whole working life in art school is that I always had free access to a wide range of decent kit in various formats and good quality darkrooms.

My dept in S Africa must have been one of the last places in the world where undergrads did their own colour developing and printing, We also had a regular stream of MA students from Europe, who came to learn what was a dying art. This is web site of my former Head of Photography - he was very old school in photo (and politics), when things started going digital he was very resistant to change and eventually retired from teaching because the world had moved on from film (and the Apartheid era). However also he helped me to understand a lot about S Africa from an Afrikaner’s perspective eg. ‘My family lived here before there were whites in Australia, yet people get upset if we say we are “African”’.

Obie Oberholzer —

These are couple of my former students’ websites - they were in the same MA cohort, but have since gone in very different directions,

HOME | Analogue Eye (meistre.org)
Hywell | Hywell Waters

1 Like

Fair enough, never thought about it before.

Directly inspired by @JohnBoy 's enthusiasm for genealogy, and the exchanges above, I was prompted to search online yesterday to try and resolve a family story/myth. I wanted to find out if my late mother in-law, whose maiden name was Cranmer, was directly descended from Thomas Cranmer, Henry VIII’s Archbishop of Canterbury (responsible for the Book of Common Prayer), & who was burned at the stake by Bloody Mary.

It was incredible to me that online searches could trace from the 16th century to the modem era, so easily and quickly (and for free). Sadly, at least from my very amateur research, there appears to be no direct link to Thomas Cranmer but as @JohnBoy says, it’s a fascinating subject.

4 Likes

My mother’s maiden name was Craven. I was rather hoping JohnBoy would come up 'seeking beneficiary of the estate of the Craven family - the ‘Craven’ brand of cigarettes. I found an empty packet of ‘Craven A’ under the floorboards in my house in Bristol.

No such luck.

2 Likes

I hope my research gave you a better understanding of your Craven Side.

Are there any recommend Web sites for basic geaneanolgy you could suggest?

With a young family and one crap wage (mine! :rofl: !) I can’t afford all the sites but desperately want to know more about my totally wacky family… Dad was amazing and had it all in his head but bloody went and died on us 5 years ago :angry: and didn’t write it all down! Apparently direct from Richard III . My aunty Barbara (dads 1/2 sister) was the countess of Loudon. If you would be interested in having a poke on the sites you are on I’d be thrilled to learn more. If yes let me know and I’ll pm you all the names ect I know :smile:

@Julien as a total amateur/complete beginner, I used geni.com for my limited ‘research’ above. However I would happily defer to @johnboy for a far more informed response. For what it’s worth, Geni was free and I didn’t even need to register…

2 Likes

I used this as my starting point
http://www.searchforancestors.com/mormongenealogy.html

1 Like

There are many genealogy websites available some of which are free and often a family link can be found so is a starting piont but the pay for sites hold so much more information. The secret to tracing ancestry is to doubt everything you find. Test and retest your findings. If you think you have found a common link then it could be a coincidence, if there are 2 common links its a maybe, if there are 3 then you just might be on the right trail but dont be convinced as many searches lead you up a dead end, no pun intended!
It is always helpful to have some background info but with will and determination and lots of patience it truly is a fasinating subject.

1 Like

I have been on a fasinating journey of discovery with @captainendeavour and more than happy to do the same for you.

1 Like

Richard lll!? Aussies! ? Nah! More likely as per the Aussie Nations - packed off down under for sheep stealing! :grinning:

That’s a pity. @JohnBoy and I have been delving away trying to find a clue to the metaphorical slamming of the door as she left of my mother’s leaving her family at age 19 and consigning the years prior to the exit to a black hole from which nothing has emerged. Absolutely nothing

And to complicate this she told anyone who asked, from then on, that she came from a town 140 miles north of her home and that the couple who took her in [she was training to be a nurse along with the couple’s daughter] were her parents, although known to me as Uncle Harry and Auntie Annie.

She maintained this fiction, including the reversal of her given names, to the end.

John has suggested that the shame of having a maternal grandmother serve 6 months in jail for the death of a daughter, at 11 weeks old, due to drunken neglect, may have been a factor.

In the rooted world of pre-war working class England, the opprobrium with which this incident would be regarded by the local community would be keenly felt. Enough to cause a complete rejection? We will never know.

3 Likes

Not wishing to tread on any toes here at all but I also have access to a great many resources and am happy to help you @toryroo if you’d like. However, if @JohnBoy is all geared up to get stuck in, that’s fine too :smiley:

I haven’t been able to contribute to this thread before since I couldn’t sit for any length of time after my back op of just under 2 weeks ago. However, things are improving rapidly and I’m now getting into the swing.

As mentioned before, I think, subscriptions to genealogy sites do come very expensive, although there are always special offers and sites like FindMyPast give discounts for loyalty, unlike most. Also, many subscription sites allow non-paying people to join and will give access to free resources such as the 1881 UK census and also other peoples’ trees, which can sometimes be helpful (and sometimes very much not :roll_eyes: )

5 Likes