How much responsibility can we shove on to someone else's shoulders?

This lady was climbing a “killer mountain” in mid-winter…

Now, she is complaining at the length of time taken to undertake the rescue attempt of her and her colleague…

Her GPS was either off or not working… and there were other problems.

Personally, I applaud the rescue folk who put themselves in peril… for the sake of others…

4 Likes

anyone who puts themselves in a position where “international Rescue” is needed, should be made to pay for it.

5 Likes

people will always blame others.

everyone knows that the rescue there is a joke unless your pre paid and even then its hit and miss they wont fly in an bad weather.

its a risky business and the people that undertake it know the risks.

1 Like

No, if you decide to play for high stakes and do something dangerous for the buzz or the glory or whatever, then you know the stakes. If you don’t accept the risk, don’t do it. Obviously it’s very unfortunate but blaming the rescuers is wrong. IMHO.

4 Likes

How ungrateful! She is alive because of these rescuers. She put herself at enormous risk just for kicks, outrageous that she is now complaining.

3 Likes

It’s like the skiers who ignore warnings, go off piste, have an accident or start an avalanche and put the resuers lives at risk. Totally irresponsible !
I cannot believe that this woman is now being so ungrateful, she was damn lucky to be rescued and should be on her knees giving thanks to the brave people who put themselves at risk for her !

2 Likes

Agree 100%

I hope she gets sent the bill.

3 Likes

I think it is terrible, but in all walks of life too many people expect others to be responsible for ‘their’ actions. I can’t go on further as I will get really worked up after nearly 30 yrs dealing with attitudes like this! :rage:

1 Like

Hi Paul,
I am with Ann, Mandy and Anna and most of the other posts here.
Where I’m struggling is where I agree with you Phillip up to a point about payment.
Please let me explain, I can understand the request for someone engaging in dangerous sports and thrill seeking to fund an element of any recovery but what happens if it’s a normal hill walker who slips/trips and slides into a ravine. What if it’s not an offshore powerboat racer who capsizes but a regular yachtie/sailor who is drifting along but hits a sunken container and capsizes?

Where, I’m coming from with this is that we could open ourselves up to the thin end of the wedge. Would we get to a point where children falling off bikes/skateboards aren’t covered for NHS treatment. What about my uncle who joined in our skateboardingand broke his arm (oops)? What about horseriders, amateur rugby players and their spinal injuries.

So at the moment I’m kind of with you on payment but would worry that if we demand pay-back from some we will end up demanding it from all - who will be the judge of where the line is set. I guess I agree with the principle but wouldn’t vote for implementation for fear of the future.

However, I do agree that top have your life saved and then criticise the speed of your rescue is ungrateful to say the least.

Most, I believe the acceptable collective noun is, boaters that I know in the UK give to the RNLI in drips and drabs whenever possible throughout the year. Some make annual donations others by putting money in tins, going to coffee mornings and so on. I send RNLI Christmas Cards every Christmas. They appreciate the organisation that receives no public funding and are glad of its existence but few would expect that they have the right to call on their services. Primary safety goes so far and many dangerous passtimes have dedicated services watching their backs. That’s a great comfort but criticising rescuers who may well have put their own lives in danger to help is unforgivable.

1 Like

I used to live near the Lake District and it was amazing how many women thought you could walk up Coniston Old Man in high heels.
Of course it was the local mountain rescue that had to bring them down when they had damaged their ankles._

1 Like

A different mountain in a different country but… Many years ago I walked up Snowden on the Pyg track. I thought I was doing brilliantly and really out in the wilds until near the top I came across a group including a couple of women in high heels. A lifetime ago but I’ve still got photos of that day.