How to add a 2nd light switch

Hi all. I want to add a 2nd switch to a single light. The only switch is at the far end of the hall. Can anyone offer any guidance or know where I can find out how to do it ?

Thanks !

It is easy enough, but by asking such a question does suggest you should ask an electrician.

1 Like

Its called 2 way switching.
Its not difficult, but unless you’re happy working with electrics get an electrician to do it

Much easier without adding additional wiring these days

Use a wireless system such as this one

(no affiliation, nor have I used or particularly recommend this product - it was just a convenient Google hit so used for illustrative purpose).

2 Likes

And of course you can get remote control bulbs

1 Like

Thanks Mark, is that a UK diagram or French ? I have done a lot of UK electrics but not French.

Thanks Billy, but is that a UK company ?

Either, I would normally wire as per the bottom diagram.

The two way switches are known as “va et vient” in France.

2 Likes

or this one, if it is clearer:

https://schema-electrique.net/installation-va-et-vient-comment-installer-va-et-vient.html

1 Like

it is but you could be able to get similar in France - as I said the product link was simply chosen to illustrate the genre of device.

Eg Legrand do a range

https://www.amazon.fr/COMMANDE-SANS-SIMPLE-CELIANE-BLANC/dp/B079Q93DD8/ref=sr_1_41

1 Like

Thanks for all of the advice!

I have found motion sensitive light bulbs - never knew they existed !? I have seen an LED motion sensitive bulb, but at 13 watts it does not sound very strong - any opinions ?

To convert from LED wattage to tungsten incandescent wattage multiply by 6-10 - so 13W LED is comfortably brighter than a 100W tungsten.

2 Likes

Certainly very close.
Amazon france used to have wireless switches and receivers.

Acegoo Wireless Lights Switch Kit, No Wiring No Battery, Quick Create or Relocate On/Off Switches for Lights Lamps Fans Appliances, Self-powered Remote Control Switch for House Lighting, Avoid Chasing Wall for Cables ( Contains Switch and Receiver) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0157MF2ZS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_9AZ7XW990CBV6XD5521K

I cant get on to the french one being in the uk at tje moment but youll get the idea, used these for the last 5 years without any issues

1 Like

Thanks Corona !

Huh? I use Amazon UK, FR & DE sites from France.
Is this some Brexit thing - the UK population being prevented from accessing sites outside the UK? That’s a joke BTW…

1 Like

Just scroll to bottom of Amazon page and select the country you require and the relevant page pops up in that countries language, I was in uk and Ireland in March to celebrate St Patricks day and had no problems using amazon France whilst I was there.

Or, you can just go to amazon.fr in your browser.

Just make sure to be aware that if you’re signed in or got cookies from a previous session, Amazon has decided it will only show you things that are “shippable” to the last country it thought you were in. No matter which country’s Amazon website you’ve chosen.

It will default randomly amongst all the different country addresses you might have registered as shipping addys in your account - sometimes without notifying you and asking you if that’s where you will be shipping to and giving you an opportunity to change. It will affect which articles it shows you (though you can get round it by typing in the product number if you can find it).

1 Like

Hmmm. It doesn’t do that with me. I do have one UK and one French delivery address set. The French delivery address always comes up, no matter what country I’m in. Same with the french card. I have to explicitly set the UK address and card if I need it.

Yes that’s what I am saying. I have a few different country addresses from the past that I keep on in case needed and Amazon defaults to the one it likes at the time no matter which country site I’m using and I keep having to override. It also doesn’t always flag it’s done this but meanwhile it’s determining what you’re allowed to see. It’s careless programming by Amazon I think. Either you’ve got cookies left or it’s just taking whatever is stored as position 1 and you’re lucky in that case it’s your French address.