How to become a freelancer and earn enough money to survive!

Hello everyone,

I have recently moved back to France after a few years living in Italy.

I have been teaching English for 10 years but am finding it hard to find work in the Champagne region where I am now based. A few schools are interested in working with me but have very few hours to offer just now and cannot guarantee a minimum hour contract.

I considered becoming an auto entrepreneur but have since heard that this scheme could be scrapped in the near future.

How do the rest of you manage to legally make a living as a freelance teacher here in Fance?

Many thanks in advance for any advice that you may have.

I have lots of lessons via italki. You set your own fees. It's all over the world. I have about 5-6 hours of teaching from that. Other than that, Le Bon Coin brings me some clients, as does hard and heavy networking!!

Thanks Kerry.

French, Spanish and some Italian.

I worked for them while in Italy but when I moved to France the lessons had to stop. What I understood is that as their offices are based offshore for tax reasons you cannot work in France or be paid into a French account! Was a bit annoying as I had a great group of students.

Any companies that I should avoid?!

Yes at the moment I just have to wait for them to give me some hours! Fingers crossed that things will pick up soon. Thanks for your advice!

Thanks for your help. I am now considering working with some phone companies as no teaching hours are coming my way just yet. I have worked with Telelangue in the past but in order to teach by phone you have to live out of France for tax reasons. Someone recommended Foma2+ so am going to drop them a line.

Not being able to guarantee a minimum number of hours is indeed unfortunate. You might have to take on individual clients with several schools, even if it's just a couple of hours a week, and wait to see which one ends up offering you most hours in the end... not much help, I know.