How to check previous ownership of a uk registered car

Is there a way of finding the true ownership of a car?

A validatedable receipt/invoice in the sellers name perhaps?

1 Like

Ask DVLA, It is unlawful in the UK for a company to disclose the registered keeper’s details without their permission unless you have a just cause.

1 Like

The registered keeper is not necessarily the owner and I think that is what the OP is making reference to.

1 Like

I know the V5 only shows the registered keeper but the only way you will find out the actual owner is by asking DVLA, if they actually know who it is.

1 Like

could their reply be something like

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It’s the DVLA…IF you get a reply and IF it is within this decade :yum::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

In recent years have consistently found DVLA to be mustard in responding. Their telephone service is excellent - very little wait time, followed by helpful and friendly service. The same applies to many UK Gov dept these days - DWP, HMRC, the S1 dept.

1 Like

I agree, but during Covid the mustard seems to have congealed into a solid lump of gravy. The simplest requests seen to be taking months.

I declared my car as exported in December 2020 and, nearly four months later, have received a demand (automated, I believe) for next year’s tax.

1 Like

Must be Covid because I exported my car in Oct last year, during a bit of a dip in the plague and all went thru’ chop chop.

Same when I exported my camper van and then re-imported it. Beacuse they still had the van on file, the latter took two weeks.

1 Like