How to install VPN on Router

Yes. For example, I have a PC sitting in my father’s attic running as a VPN server. I connect through that and I can be confident that it’s highly unlikely to be blocked, unlike the commercial services.

Yes

This is saying that you could install an additional access point on your network and, in the settings for that box, connect that to your VPN service. This would then give you an additional WiFi network to which you can connect your phone, tablet, etc and they would look like they’re in the UK.

Not sure if that helps or not to be honest.

Yes - helpful. "Up to a point, Lord Copper"

At the risk of that now defunct statement at P.M’s.Q “I refer the Hon Gent to the answer I gave a moment ago” , I’m not sure I have made it clear that the object of the exercise is to ‘connect’ the TV to access UK territorially restricted content, such as iPlayer. A.F.A.I.K. one can’t do that by connecting to the ‘local’ WiFi coming out of the L/box. Server in FR. "It’s a rights issue " and all that.

So sorry. :slightly_frowning_face: I don’t know what that means. [You begin to see now the depth of my ignorance. ]

I seem to remember coming across this little yellow box some time ago and finding [with a pal who explained it to me] that if I subscribed to a UK i/net service and this box was connected I’d have what you have with your PC/father’s attic.

Unfortunately the pal, who agreed at the time to ‘host’ my UK i/net sub, has vanished into thin air. Maybe someone else will oblige.

But it seems 2] and 3] can be done without involving anybody else … ?

I thought about a server in my FIL loft, but when it goes belly up I would have to get someone in to reboot it as he is in France with us and the cost of electricity over the year/extra fire risk.
So I went with the €3 a month dedicated IP and that way if it goes wrong it’s someone else’s problem and they can fix it.

1 Like

So the key thing here is the VPN service you are using, all the commerical ones work as intended, that is to say they will provide you with an IP address that is from a UK block. However, if you use it to bypass a streaming services regional restrictions it’s going to be flakey. The reason is that those services monitor activity to stop users overseas from doing that. So when they identify a cluster of 100s or 1000s of users all apparantly streaming from the same building they will block that. That’s why your surfshark or expressvpn or whichever service keep falling over. It’s a game of digital whack a mole!

To avoid this you’ll need a VPN that only a couple of clients connect to so it never looks suspicious. Build your own on amazon web services for example. Difficulty level for tech savvy people 3/10

Then you take your GLI router and plug it in to your Livebox with a cat 5 cable (you can actually wirelessly coinnect it but no point). At this point you will have a second wifi access point that you can connect to with any device you choose, just like you do with your Livebook access point.

Now you want it to only have IP addresses so you go in to the config of the little GLI router and you connect it to your VPN service that you subscribed to or buillt yourself or is in someones attic in the UK.

Now connect your TV to that access point and your TV will behave as if it is in the UK.

Your VPN service will need to be compatible with the routers installed clients, OpenVPN for example

1 Like

Thanks James. That looks like a plan :grinning:

And that’s just the level - or maybe more - for setting up an a/c! But I have.

"Now is coming in … " as the late Antonio Carluccio used to say about the next ingredient - now is coming in some questions … I hope you will have the forebearance to answer a few. I will be asking their chat lines mostly, of course.

Which, if either of these, do I need?

I’m not sure, where did you find that? I setup an openvpn server on aws

There’s a yt video on how to do it somewhere, I think it was me that posted it, networkchuck is the YouTuber

This one?

2 Likes

I was ‘following my nose’ trying to find where to go next after setting up my a/c

I did this

And this, the complete ‘paragraph’, included the above

So I am, in effect, blundering about on AWS trying to find out where to go and what to do.

I have no idea.

Jeepers. This guy - what is he on?

A couple of my flatmates, back in 1968/69 - those days :roll_eyes: - used to pop dexis * when it came time to clean the flat, which was their domestic job.

Mine was to lug a week’s worth of fruit and veg in a large c/bd box from Berwick St mkt to Glouc Rd tube and round the corner to 69, Cromwell Rd.

I did my bit entirely without chemical help.

[*I forgot to mention they popped mandies afterwards, to come down.]

I will be hitting the pause button … lots.

But thanks for the link, if this is the right one.

2 Likes

That’s it, thanks @graham :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I can barely follow his ‘English’ - lip reading this guy is obviously impossible due to the enormous face fuzz :grinning:

But I am inching my way thru it, with many <<

Thanks James and Graham

Would hosting a VPN on AWS not get quite expensive quite quickly? I understand that it’s free for a while but I have heard some horror stories of people racking up costs on it.

Costs me about 15 euro a month

Is that a basic plain vanilla account that started out as free or something more than that? Our man in the vid goes on about the freeness of what he is setting up

I get it now. You get 750 hrs p.m. for 12 months f.o.c… Then you pay. Matey on the vid pays “about $10 p.m.” James "about €15 p.m.

So +/- USD120 p.a. or +/- €180 p.a.

Although I can see that this m.o. is the best solution it’s not worth +/ €150 p.a. to me when there are other options at lower cost.

Yes… Looks like you were following instructions for creating a gateway specifically for hosting a VPN tunnel to allow connections between machines you manage and host in AWS and machines you host in some other location (e.g. your home, an office network, another data centre, etc…).

Looks like you’re on the right track now with the bearded guy’s video on YouTube.

The problem is that he clicks thru’ to pages which bears no resemblance to the page I get. So far I have found a detail somewhere on my page that does what happens on his next page.

However, watching the vid all the way thru’ I very much doubt I will be able to continue that. Clearly the pages he is processing have changed since he made that vid.

At the moment I am told that whatever it is that is downloading ‘could take up to an hour’ and they will email me when it’s done. He downloaded more or less instantly …

I’d say signing up to AWS is 3/5.

Having spent several hrs trying to follow the instructions on that vid - very difficult when he clicks thru and a page opens that is nothing like the page that opens for me - and a session of copying and pasting lines of code looms [if I get that far] I’d say the actual process is 7.5/10, rising to impossible if the difference in pages presented goes on into the really techie bit.

[I once very carefully followed the Haynes manual on installing the ancilliaries to a Citroen Dyane engine and then installing that into the car. It took 11 hrs in total. I realised I had forgotten to instal the baffles that make up the cabin heating system, removed the engine and replaced it inside 30 mins. A good example of E.W.K. Easy When Known.]

I doubt I’ll get to that because whatever it was that was loading "This could take up to an hour. We will email you when … " has not been confirmed by an email 3+hrs since it started.

However, in the meantime I discovered that my VPN, Surfshark, will instal on ‘any Android TV running Android 5 or later’ I believe other VPNs do as well. Mine is A9. Sounds ideal !

my VPN, Surfshark, will instal on ‘any Android TV running Android 5 or later’ I believe other VPNs do as well. Mine is A9. Sounds ideal !”

After faffing about, asking Uncle Tom Cobley an’ all, failing, for the most part, to understand the advice and instructions that I was offered, buying a router with ‘Tomato’ installed, buying A GL-iNet Mango mini router [still in shrink-wrap], it turned out all I had to do was open Surfshark in the apps on my TV, sign in with my existing log in details and that was it!

iPlayer and all, jus’ like that!

The only problem was that there were long periods when the stream failed. There were 3 tries in the Wales V Eng match and I missed them all. Scrolling back to try to watch them resulted in the stream simply sticking at the original point.

A notice would appear “This content doesn’t seem to be working. It is usually a temporary problem but if it continues, check your internet comnnection or your video quality settings”.

Internet connection was always good. Didn’t understand the video settings advice …

Any ideas about cause/remedy?