How to remotely access wifi

Back in the UK and very windy!

Whilst here, and remembering some folks had already done this, I wondered if anyone could share how I could easily remotely access a home network. The purpose would be to assume a remote ip address, much the same as one can do by using a vpn service.

Any guidance as to how I could do this would be much appreciated, as when I looked on the net it all sounded rather complicated :scream:

It might be easier if you told us what you specifically want to achieve as there are many ways to gain access.

2 Likes

I agree with JohnH - what do you need to achieve? Unless we know that it will be difficult to know how to advise.

1 Like

The idea I had was to simply to be able to adopt the remote ip address to use instead of the vpn I currently use primarily just to access uk tv.

This may work
 although I’ve not tried it. If I get time, I may try testing it out on a free AWS instance based in the UK and my PCs based here in France.

First sign-up for the personal version of Tailscale. It’s free :slightly_smiling_face: Then install the client on a machine in the UK. Once installed, select the option to make that machine run as an “exit-node”.

When you’re back in France, install Tailscale on your PCs, phone, laptops, etc that you use to watch foreign telly. Then, when you want to watch British telly, just reconfigure your machine to use the recently created exit-node on the UK machine. Your internet traffic will turn be routed via the UK machine and it will look to all intents and purposes as though you are in the UK.

The whole process is shown in this video, although he makes it look more complicated than it really is. The exit-node stuff starts at 06:30

It’s the same principle as outlined in this video for bypassing Netflix’s crackdown on password sharing

2 Likes

If you know what router you have, some have a built in VPN server and that would likely be the most straightforward way to do it. I do this though my father’s router to look like I’m in the UK.

I am not an expert but surely the easiest way to watch UK TV anywhere is to use a firestick with a vpn on it. Take the firestick to any TV anywhere, latch on to any WiFi source, and select uk on your VPN

1 Like

This has come up previously

Had a spare half an hour at work whilst a script was running some stuff and tied-up my work machine. It was dead easy to set it up on a free-tier machine in AWS and on my laptop. Both iPlayer and Channel4.com worked immediately.

The Tailscale app doesn’t work on my Android box which is hooked-up to my telly, though. It installs but just hangs. So I can’t configure it to use the AWS machine as the exit-node. Will try it on an Amazon Firestick too at some point.

I’ll keep it running on AWS for now, as it doesn’t cost me anything. I don’t often watch telly via my laptop though, so I don’t think I’ll use this method very much. Good to know it does work though.

1 Like

Thanks alot @Gareth for taking the precious time to do the test :+1::+1: much appreciated :+1::+1: just diving around alot so not sure when I can have a go myself, but thanks again, very very helpful!

1 Like

Quick update - think I found a relatively simple and straightforward method of connection using nordvpn’s meshnet function. You don’t need a paid nordvpn account so anyone can use it for free and it allows one to route your traffic through a remote computer - very very simple to set up and seems to work :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

2 Likes