How to Say "Other Half" in French?

Ma autre demi?

1 Like

:joy: as in the other half of your beer?

Never heard a French person referring to mon autre moitié.

I normally use ‘La patronne’.

3 Likes

Go formal, “you and a guest” some may have no regular companion

Too diminutive - it would technically be a quarter!

2 Likes

I’ve used “Ministère des finances” before to good effect.

4 Likes

Sorry just got back from work!
We do say ma (tendre) moitié but it is a bit twee and valentine’s day cardish, you could just say venez accompagné(e) de votre cher et tendre, or avec votre conjoint (compagnon can mean a pet) or venez à deux si vous voulez, les conjoints sont la bienvenue etc

8 Likes

That’s a very helpful post, thank you @vero! So is it right to say that conjoint can cover all degrees of partnership? Dictionaries tend to translate it as spouse …

I think conjoint can cover any degree of bidie-in-ness :slightly_smiling_face: between adults. You wouldn’t use it if you were talking about teenagers.

4 Likes

Thanks Vero, much appreciated. I’m guessing the above has the useful ambiguity that it could be son or daughter should they so wish? Next time, I’ll do it better. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

autre alf, easy

2 Likes

That’s very good to know, thank you. I have been using conjoint generally but wasn’t sure this was correct!

Yep… at last night’s AG… this phrase was bandied about when talking about the “other half” of a paid up Club Member…

at a tangent… have I understood correctly… is “le raton laveur”… the equivalent of us Brits saying “… the kitchen sink” meaning everything, absolutely everything…

The version I know is ‘everything but the kitchen sink’ to mean (virtually, but effectively) everything.

Of course, the latter would imply that kitchen sinks don’t exist, which would be a bit silly. I know they do 'cos I’ve got one :wink:

1 Like

Never heard that as an expression before, are you sure that they weren’t talking about someone probably with dark rings around their eyes and gets into everything that they should / would be better off keeping out of.

2 Likes

I use it all the time, think it may be very Aussie!

5 Likes

I think it’s quite a ‘normal’ phrase among ordinary British folks.

3 Likes

Have never as far as I’m aware been referred to as ‘the hubby’, or the ‘OH’ - but do like my OH’s frequent references (usually on the phone) to << Mon mari . >> I like to think in that context that I’m usually some sort of higher rational authority, OTOH she might simply be saying that mon mari will come round and beat the bejessus out of you, if you don’t get your s–t together. Obviously the latter can only work if they can’t see <>

1 Like

Mon mari/ma femme/mon époux/ mon épouse/ mon conjoint/ ma conjointe/ mon compagnon/ma compagne/mon concubin (you don’t hear ma concubine so often :joy:)/mon amie/ mon amie/mon copain/ma copine/mon jules/ma zouz/ mon keum/ ma meuf
There’s a little selection from formal to informal for you :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Glad you omitted the coy end of that spectrum, otherwise I might have had to get up and go look for a vomit bag!