How to Say "Other Half" in French?

I’m sending out an email today in French and English to our photo club members to remind them there is a Christmas Party this Thursday evening.

In English I’ll be saying something like; “and do include your other half if you want to”.

How do I write “other half” in French please?

Is that the sort of circumstance in which you’d need to be terribly generic - like compagnon - or would that feel like excluding married people? Probably need @vero for the correct social term. Thinking… “conjoint ou compagnon” ?

2 Likes

Yes, I have no idea what relationships our club members have, so I want to keep it as open/general as possible.

I’ve read ma moitié as meaning this - so votre moitié?

3 Likes

Thanks Porridge, you’ve anticipated my post - just found moitié as well on Deepl and Google to mean (informally) “better half” Is there a danger it’s sexist though? ie what men say about “her indoors”?

I’ve never heard that term used - sounds like the sort of thing Google Translate might produce as it tends to go for literal rather than actual meaning in some cases (some of which are hilarious) but of course I’ve no real idea. My French vocabulary has improved massively since my latest hospital experience but I do tend to refer to my partner as “mon mari” even though we are “only” Pacsé since that’s what everyone else refers to him as!

2 Likes

In fact I also use wordreference.com and it very usefully puts subsidiary meanings of words and examples of ways in which the words are used. In this case it’s kosher. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d wait and check to see if @vero can input. May be too informal or have connotations. What about if the +1 is not a spouse?

Mind you, Linguee indicates it can be lover / better half / soul mate … :heart_eyes:

@SuePJ is quite right about wordreference - it does give a subsidiary meaning as spouse, partner. I’m just a wee bit wary since I’ve not heard it but then I suppose I’ve haven’t really heard all that much compared to what there is :smiley:

EDIT: I don’t use the term “OH” in English anyway because I don’t like it. Heard too many people pontificating on the concept that if you are on your own, you are not a complete person but when married (it’s always marriage for these people!) you then become complete. As a philosophy I hate it!!

2 Likes

That’s exactly why I want something more neutral, that is also not gender specific. That is why I love Other Half.

We would use conjoint(e).

2 Likes

‘Un invité’ ? (Without the question mark!)

There is also ‘un rencard’ or the rather romantic ‘un cavalier’, which I think of as what we used to call a ‘walker’ :wink:

Or, “vous pouver venir accompagné”

3 Likes

Un invité would be a bit odd as the person being sent the invitation is the guest. Could say un(e) autre invité(e) I suppose. Or “vous pouvez amener un invité”.

Maybe just stick to the totally anodyne compagnon.

‘Cavalier’ is so wonderful but might be a risk of some turning up in fancy dress :rofl:

1 Like

I’m in favour of this one thanks Susannah as it seems suitably neutral and avoids any relationship assumptions - for example it would cover a son or daughter.

Heavens - never heard that fortunately. And never felt it to be an issue - having spent many years very happily on my own. But I take your point Angela, so will steer away from OH (except on here when talking about OH) and plump for something like Susannah’s French suggestion - eg, by all means bring someone if you want to.

Thanks all - a useful discussion. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure that it doesn’t sound odd to say “you can come accompanied”. That!s not a construction I’ve heard in French, it is usually “accompagné de votre compagnon/conjoint/partenaire/épouse etc”

I only use OH on here as I loathe and detest “hubby”.

1 Like

Good grief! Never even considered that one… yuck!

2 Likes

I tend to say “my partner” here although it is a bit ponderous

You obviously haven’t moved in some of the rather bizarre circles I have :rofl:

Fair point Jane. Well I hope they understand (I think they will as they tolerate my pretty ghastly French week by week when I’m presenting stuff.) I’ve already sent it out as I needed to get something to them sooner rather than later.

2 Likes