How warm do you keep your home?

I’ve got hot water bottles too…if I’ve been outside when it’s really cold I fill one up and put it on my lap to warm me and my hands :grinning:

And on my bed I have a winter duvet and 3 blankets and another duvet ready just in case…plus 3 Border collies strewn around my bed and the bedroom and a hot water bottle when it’s sub zero :grinning:

Electric blanket for me every time - I don’t like the feel of cold hot water bottles in the middle of the night :rofl: I only prewarm the bed with the blanket though - never need anything overnight if the duvet is thick enough but if I get into a cold bed, I stay cold…

3 Likes

I’ve got super fluffy covers on my hot water bottles so if they do go cold overnight it’s not too horrendous :grinning:

Interestingly one of my friends also uses butane gas heaters, and his electricity bills are also super low.

1 Like

OH bought some gloves that are supposed to help Raynauds sufferers and either wears them on their own or underneath ordinary gloves when it’s cold. Whether they make a difference is debatable of course.

When we bought our house ten years ago, it came with newly (and improperly) installed heat pumps in every room. They were great for quickly heating the place up after it had been empty for several months in autumn, but since we moved here f/t and installed a ground floor log burner with a chimney and conduit to take heat to the upper two floors, we’ve hardly used the heat pumps and then it’s mainly been for their dehumidifier function in mid-summer if the the temp gets above 40° this seems more comfortable than the a/c function.

My wife’s from sub-tropical Durban and I grew up in Saddleworth a 1000 feet up on the Yorkshire Pennines, so we have very different notions of ‘cold’ weather. However, S Africa can get very cold too, I’ve known -9°C several times, yet the locals don’t really know how to dress warmly or how to keep their houses warm. There’s little or no insulation beyond Cape Town and in winter, they fling all the windows open as soon as the sun comes up, regardless of whether or not it’s shining on that side of the building, whilst if they get cold indoors, they put on woolly hats and gloves and sit on an electric oil radiator.

I can’t live like that, so in winter, we maintain what we both consider to be a warm house, where I only need to wear one shirt and Madame only needs three T shirts (and a sweater!). If she could cope with their combined weight, I’m sure she’d wear both her Aigle down parkas at once if she ventured outside in January…

1 Like

It runs in my family on my maternal Scottish gran’s side and is a condition I’ve not yet found a natural remedy for….the obvious “remedy” is to keep warm but it’s not always possible when your hands and feet suddenly react to temperatures that just aren’t affecting others around you in any way….

One of my daughters gave me hand warmers that you pop in a microwave for a few seconds and then put in your pockets but if you’re out walking dogs then there’s not much opportunity to have your hands in your pockets…??? :thinking:

I guess we have to try different things and see what helps….

In junior school I had a polish teacher who was really kind and sympathetic and after playtime and lunchtime when there was snow and ice on the ground she would take me aside and run my hands under luke warm almost cold water…she was quite formidable in many ways but she was always kind to me in that respect….

I’m trying out quercitin at the minute

19C during the day, 15C overnight.

I’d like an electric blanket but the idea has met with staunch resistance.

1 Like

Also a 38C hot water bottle most nights, though it’s annoying when he wakes me up at 5am for a Dreamie.

2 Likes

Just your side of the bed then? :smiley:

2 Likes

I recently bought a rechargeable hand warmer to pop into the cat’s bed.
Even on a 50C setting it lasts for 12 hours plus.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B09CGQDNJJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Wow! And I thought we pampered our cats - hope they don’t decide to migrate to chez vous…

OH is over the moon… it’s now 21c in the lounge…
I’ve opened the door beside the fireplace and the ceiling fan at the far end of the room is wafting the air gently (without making a draft), thus the warmth spreads throughout the house.
Everywhere definitely feels that bit warmer… but certainly not hot… no matter, I’m not putting any more logs on tonight… that’s it. (I’m back into stingy mode.)

Hot water bottles are now de rigueur until Spring.

2 Likes

Blimey, I thought hot water bottles went out with the Ark, haven’t seen one for years. I remember my grandmother used to give us those pot ones when we visited. Likewise electric blankets.

Fran feels the cold and her thinly covered bones emanate heat, the major reason I had to move to the spare bedroom years ago. I just couldn’t stand the heat and would lift the quilt my side to let cool air in. Now I keep my bedroom door closed all day to stop the heat getting in and one quilt is more than enough for me at night. Fran has 2 plus a woollen blanket. I keep it closed while in bed reading, to keep the flies out, but open it when I go to sleep and the rest of the house, without heating on, starts to cool down.

Hot water bottles are alive and well… and available from Pharmacies (maybe other shops as well…)

The other day, we were musing over the selection while we waited our turn.

The covers are such fun… everything from a simple fluffy… to Spiderman or was it Batman? (not always easy to tell what’s what… :rofl: )

We buy new bottles every 2 years as I have a dread of the rubber perishing and the thing bursting/leaking…

1 Like

As always blame the hot water bottle for leaking!! :joy:

3 Likes

Reporting back after our first log fire of the season…

Yesterday the temp started at 16c and ended at 21c at around 11, as I bashed down the last of the embers and we trundled up the little wooden hill…

The rest of the house felt “nice”… not hot but not cold…just nice.

This morning the temp was 18c until OH flung open windows to do the shutters… and the temp zoomed down to 17c… but we can live with that.

No more fires until this evening… only perhaps this evening… perhaps not. :wink:

Gawd, you are all way more stoical than me. I like all of my living space nice and warm.

2 Likes

Like La Palma?

Bleeding naturists!

4 Likes