How was your first day+ at 80kph?

Don’t forget the drops to 50 kh on D roads or wherever… … that are so often not recognized by foreign drivers… as it is only the Place Name Plate that designates the Limit… :thinking::zipper_mouth_face: (unless another speed is shown above the Place Name Plate… )

PS: Hope you are enjoying your holiday… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Fully aware of the automatic drop to 50 as you enter a built up area and signified by the white rectangular sign wih the place name (and the corresponding reversal at the same sign with red line).

Back home now :confused:

Oh dear… holidays are nearly always tooooo short… :zipper_mouth_face: I know you are aware and drive carefully… I was mentioning for the benefit of those who are not so well in tune… :wink:

I drove into Cluny this afternoon and soon realised that the Route Express must be closed by the amount of lunatic drivers that had been diverted onto our road.
Overtaking on totally inappropriate sections of the road and one very near miss.
80k was not on their minds.

Latest info… 93% had not been flashed; 4% reckoned to have been flashed, but not fined;
only 3% had been flashed + fined…

Of course, these figures are lightweight as they are from a Survey of 10K folk … but, interesting none the less…

If that’s representative it makes it even harder for those who have been fined. I already hate the bunching that the 80 limit has resulted in.

I believe I said that would happen.

A month later and we still get the madheads that will not drive at 80.
And there is the french thing of wanting to be in front in all circumstances.

“I already hate the bunching that the 80 limit has resulted in.”
I have lived in Brittany for 17 years and “bunching” has always been the norm. Its no worse now with the 80 limit than it ever was. We used to joke that there must be a staging point somewhere that French drivers gather into groups, then set off nose to tail. Maybe a leftover from the days when there were bandits at the roadside awaiting the unwary traveller so travelling in groups was safer.

1 Like

Madheads? Driving a modern car on a modern road at over 80kmh is not a sign of madness.

1 Like

My first time trip, although I elected to take the motorway rather than the even more extended journey time, I eventually get to the N and D roads. 1/2 kilometre 90, (two lanes) 1/2 kilometre 80, (single lane) so I don’t get caught by running over the area I have taken to braking at 90-80 point to remove to additional 10kph. This is not amusing to the French :grin:
This potentially could increase accidents and is one of the worst idea’s since General Custer decided to…
It is stupidly slow on a road in the middle of nowhere and even worse when it’s the middle of the night you are traveling.

4 Likes

I was refering to drivers that deliberately exceed the speed limits anywhere.
These can be white van men, young drivers, A drivers, and those that do not agree with 80kph.
We live 30 kms from the D950 at night 99% of the drivers come through here at 80/90/100kph.
It is bad for our health, and damages roads and buildings, plus uses extra fuel.

My point still stands. What is the D950 and why is living 30km away from it relevant? How is their speeding bad for your health? In the past there have been concerns about air quality in traffic calming areas. I’m also not sure that speeding is going to make any real contribution to the wear and tear to roads and buildings and, finally, my everyday car is more economical at 90kmh than 80 as at that speed it can use its top gear efficiently and requires fewer downchanges and less throttle input.
If I wanted to pinpoint a group who drove less economical vehicles, caused more pollution and wear and tear and risk to other road users I would point at those people who drive large old diesel vans not those who drove normal cars well within the capability of those cars and the road conditions.

Time will tell what the effect on road safety has been on a national level.

Old diesel vans are most likely serving a purpose keeping a small trader that is hanging by a thread to stay in business. A hulking great 4x4 with a hairdresser on board and a small bag of shopping is the real culprit.

The speed cameras will catch you eventually.

What, for driving 20kmh too slow in a dual carriageway or perhaps 40kmh too slow on an autoroute? Do you really believe that 80kmh is a realistic speed to travel at in a modern car on the open road?
PS, Ireally do want to know the relevance of living 30km from the D950. I feel that I must be missing out on something important.

As a matter of interest… I believe that “A” drivers have to drive at 10kh below all speed limits… :thinking:

I really do not like the new limit. I’m so used to driving at 90 that I find myself inadvertently driving above the new limit. I also find myself having to concentrate on the speedo so much that I worry I’m not concentrating enough on the road.

The idiots who were flying along at 120 or more, overtaking on bends etc when the limit was 90 are still doing it now the limit is 80. Absolutely pointless to reduce the limit if it is not going to be policed

3 Likes

We get wafts of nitrous oxide fumes coming towards our house, depending on wind direction of coarse. This increases according to the heavy right foot at night, not very healthy.
Our car has a JTD engine which uses far less fuel at 80 than 90kph.