Howlers

You know, like those ones that get circulated when kids write really daft stuff in their GCSE’s - only this time, feel free to involve the staff…

Daisy (15) came back from lycee tonight having had English. They had been reading - wait for it and please do say it out loud as it is written - Agada Christie who writes Mice ce ry stories....

They had also discussed the pronunciation of the word banana - apparently the first a is silent.....

All together now - say it - bnana!

Hi to you all and sorry to be picky, but the teacher has a point: in my rarified southern English accent, the first ‘a’ in banana is a schwa, not a straight ‘a’ sound. . . and having lived and taught in N Ireland and in Scotland, I’d say that was the norm?

My son (age 6, first language English) is always talking about how his teacher can’t speak English properly, which makes me laugh. I do try to make him understand that she has a tough time, though, and to give her respectful attention.

It’s lovely to discover the group - I’ll introduce myself properly in the main section.

I kind of get that... as a Northerner, I definitely say 'b'naa na' rather than 'bAnana' it's kind of eluded out of there! But then I can't say the difference between buche (yule log) and bouche, which always come out the same, no matter how I try.

Jake's favourite is when his teacher says 'Ondes' for hands :)

Scary! Daisy was told by her ‘English’ teacher that the first ‘a’ in banana is silent…

My son (who speaks perfect English) was told in CM2 that fraises in English is Strasberries - when he insistently told the teacher that it was ‘strawberries’ she said that it must be his regional accent and that no, it was strasberries!! Huh!!

Having just finished marking 400 GCSE English papers, I’m always at a loss for the odd spellings that emerge and the funny, though perfectly appropriate, things kids say. My favourite this year is the question ‘describe your closet fiend’ or even ‘describe your closet friend’ rather than closest. My favourite comment was ‘most poems end in one way or another’ about the poetry.