HRT in France

I was talking to a friend yesterday. She is experiencing the early onset of the menopause and, at the same time, considering a move to France.

Mrs P told me she has the impression doctors in France are reluctant to prescribe HRT, even more so than in the UK.

Is that correct? Or is it relatively easy - accepting the attendant risks of HRT - to get it?

I never had a problem, as was allowed to continue to 65. Breast screening is good, and they do also do ultrasound for dense breasts.

1 Like

Without knowing what has given Mrs P this “impression”… I’d suggest she discusses things with her doctor and (hopefully) all will be well

here’s the Ameli link which might be enlightening…

here’s an edit…

Le traitement hormonal substitutif de la ménopause dans certaines situations

Un traitement hormonal substitutif de la ménopause (THM) peut être proposé par le médecin traitant ou le gynécologue, si le bénéfice de ce traitement est estimé supérieur aux risques qu’il induit.

Il associe un estrogène et un progestatif (le progestatif est inutile si la patiente a subi une hystérectomie).

I don’t think doctors generally give out advice about third parties :wink:

Thanks for the link though

If she gets a prescription in the UK a french MT will most likely discuss a continuation.
Mine did a lecture of risks involved with hormone treatment - and continued prescribing.
Not a problem.

1 Like

ha ha… can Mrs P advise her friend to discuss with own doctor…??? in UK if now is the time… she can go ahead with it…
when/if she moves to France… if she’s already on it with no ill effects… there’s no reason why a French Doc would “stop” it…

and the Ameli site does give the general opinion… “OK if nothing adverse…”

1 Like