Humour: Freddie Starr and Others

This chap had us in fits for so many years…

2 Likes

He was another vctim pursued for child abuse and nothing came of it.
Yet another life ruined by the likes of’ Nick’ and the police who actually believed the ridiculous charge that the former Head of the Defence Staff was at a ‘pool party’ on Remembrance Day.

1 Like

It’s not for the police to believe or disbelieve, they investigate complaints and find any evidence. It’s then passed on to the CPS to decide charges

3 Likes

Seen him live a couple of times, once & family type show very funny & good interpreter singer etc gr8 night out for all. & another at I can’t remember probably a hockey club do, rather on the blue side but funny & amusing, wouldn’t be PC today but did we laugh, both good night out. RIP Freddie.

1 Like

That was the whole point, so many of these allegations against people with a public profile the police just accepted the word of a complainant and did not carry out any investigation into the veracity of the allegations.
I heard that he will probably have a pauper’s funeral as there is not enough money to pay for one.

1 Like

A bit like “The Crucible” where it was said that the act (if it exists) can only be witnessed by the victim and the perpetrator.
All the way through the child abuse allegations against various ‘celebrities’, I used that analogy.

The guy was a tortured genius, five marriages, six kids (none of whom would speak to him) and he ends up broke and alone in a flat in Spain.

Actually Starr sued the woman for defamation and lost. The judge said M/s Ward was telling the truth.

1 Like

Worse than that, the legal bill was £1 million which Starr didn’t have so he went to Spain.

1 Like

Well it served him right what he put that poor woman through. She couldn’t get legal aid, had no assets and eventually persuaded a legal company to defend her on a no win, no fee basis which they would not have done if they thought they may lose.

Well Jane, I must have been lving elsewhere as I have no idea who Freddy Starr was, but I have no fear or dread of a ‘pauper’s funeral’ as they can do what they like with my body as I really couldn’t give a toss. Burn it, throw it down the drain, feed the pigs - it really won’t bother me will it? I remember a mate of mine cancelling his Death Insurance when he ‘discovered’ that nobody gets left on top do they?
MOst funerals are helping those remaining loved ones get through it, and not the dead
‘ex-person’. Fortunately that is something I don’t have problem with, and even if people wanted to dance on my grave, as I sure some would, I would rather have that than weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

1 Like

I think a court result is probably no bad thing, but I can’t help reflecting on things like the
‘MeeToo’ accusations being enough to destroy someone’s career and life, before a court case is even heard.
Once the shit is thrown it is very hard to wipe off whether it is true or not.

Totally agree but unfortunately misogynistic behaviour from the '70’s and '80’s has come back to haunt what in many cases ,including Freddie Starr’s was more crass and vulgar actions rather than sexual abuse. In his case I don’t think he even remembered what he did but an under age girl who had her breasts squeezed and was called a titless wonder in front of a roomful of people would live with the humiliation forever and that’s what some men don’t realise. If he had just said he didn’t remember but was sorry for any perceived hurt and wrong doing it would probably have made a huge difference. Instead he tried to sue her and because she was found to be telling the truth he lost a lot of money. Probably badly advised.

1 Like

To me ,I think the issue is , things had got very bad and the sexism against women was out of control. The worm has now turned ,has possibly turned too far and as Theresa says people are paying the price for crass and vulgar behaviour rather than outright abuse , but if people hadn’t turned a blind eye back then it wouldn’t have had to come to this

1 Like

While we would now recognise a lot of 1970’s behaviour as inappropriate I think that we should be careful when viewing events of that era through the magnifying glass of contemporary moral values.

It is right that Rolf Harris or Stuart Hall were given custodial sentences, I’m not sure that destroying Dave Lee Travis’s life was a measured response to his “crimes”.

1 Like

I used to love watching this chap…

And more Greats

1 Like

I had to explain to my 27year old daughter that in the 70’s women were supposed to slap a man’s face if he groped them. Unfortunately many young women would not have had the confidence. She was appalled. Also domestic abuse was ignored by police as a private matter between couples. My sil had to climb through a small window to rescue her tiny nephew whilst her alcoholic bil had locked his wife out and was smashing the house up. The police refused to help!
Political correctness is mostly just equality in practice.

1 Like

Exactly Theresa, political correctness can go too far and become silly,but essentially it is about treating people properly and with respect. For too long people were treated badly because of their gender,race, sexuality etc which is unacceptable. If being nice to someone means being PC then so be it. I often think that people who brag about not being politically correct actually are a) probably not very nice to people and b) proud of it

1 Like

Political correctness is just the name people with very outdated attitudes* give to perfectly normal respectful polite behaviour in order to denigrate any calling to order for their behaviour. Generally people who aren’t on the receiving end of such behaviour.

• (which to be fair they probably don’t see as being creepy, distasteful and intensely irritating).
3 Likes