Hunters - beware

Any women at the chasse?

Our local hunt has one woman.

We have a mixed bag, some parts have newish full fencing ( the former owners had a dog), some has very old falling down barbed wire and some has no fencing at all. Hubby has plans to improve the fencing but for now we are putting up signs at strategic places.

Signs are a beginningā€¦ but unless it is clear where one personā€™s land ends and anotherā€™s beginsā€¦ and therefore to which land the signs actually relateā€¦ there will always be the folk who stray and misunderstandings will arise.

Itā€™s just penetrated my brain that youā€™ve said some of your land is forested. Do you know what the previous owners attitudes were as it may well be that they gave a right to hunt either officially in a ACCA, or just an informal agreement? If so, you really do need to talk to your local group.

And the environmental policepeople are part of this body
http://www.oncfs.gouv.fr/Connaitre-l-Office-ru17

Iā€™m pretty sure the former owners were of the same mindset as we are although we didnā€™t actually discuss sheltering hunted creatures. They gave us instructions for how to coexist with the Loir in our roof and the bats that like to sleep behind the shutters.

That sounds good then!

Without knowing your land or the terrain, the easiest way might be to knock in some bounday stakes and nail notices to them. Paint the tops in a bright colour so that nobody can say ā€œoops I didnā€™t see themā€. Place them 3 metres apart.

1 Like

We have a meadow (which shows signs of visiting sangliers), and are surrounded by woodland. The first time I saw the chasse here someone was walking along our side of the boundary (easier than walking in the woodland I guess), since then whenever I know they are around I have made my presence known and we havent been bothered by them. However over the last couple of weeks someone seems to be training a young dog in the woods, wearing a hunting collar and bell, which has bounded onto our land a couple of times - the first time I didnt see anyone with it and shouted for it to go away, which it did, but yesterday the owner was with it and obviously controlling it with an electric shock collar plus the usual commands. It was looking rather interested in our chicken pen and being new here I didnt want to make enemies, so I greeted the owner (who seemed to be trying to hide behind a tree) and explained to him that it was an electric fence and warned that the dog could get a 10,000 volt shock from the poultry netting. He answered that he wouldnt let the dog near and hasnt been back todayā€¦time will tell though.

They aim to shoot wild boar and its being going on for centuries. You are not gong to stop it with a few notices .In England you see ā€œTrespassers will be prosecutedā€ No one bothersā€¦It seems legalized and its for the rich and influential so bit like hunting. You are up against a strong lobby.
I run a B n B .My 1st Hunter guest has just arrived.I think this must be a peak time as more enquiries than usual from single men.!!
Good luck anyway as I I think hunting here is dangerous

You are quite correctā€¦ this is the Hunting Seasonā€¦ :relaxed:

Not so in Franceā€¦ folk from every walk of life join the Chasse, it is absolutely classlessā€¦ :relaxed:

1 Like

Is anyone on here active members of their local Chasse?

(I am interested to know what is involved and whether it would assist blending in to the local community)

Makes me wonder what your local community is like if you feel that you have to go out and shoot defencless animals to blend in :scream:
Just saying ā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

Iā€™m not a member (we are anti-hunting) but good friends with a member so get lots of detail. And yes, it would help you integrate with the hunting part of your communityā€¦

First off with many local groups you can be a supporter for a small sum, and get to go to their annual dinner, but not participate in the actual hunting. This is usually the ex-hunters who are now to old to actually go out. However if you actually want to hunt then you would have to do the exam to get your permit. Part of the requirements are that you accept hunting on your own land. There are national permits, and departmental ones which just allow you to hunt in your department. Your local hunt canā€™t I believe refuse to accept you, but everywhere else you would have to be voted in/accepted.

Macronā€™s recent controversy was to drop the cost of a national permit from 400 to 200. This is annual cost, plus the cost of your subscription to your local federation, plus the cost of the guns, plus the cost of the ammunition, plus the cost of the bracelet if you actually shoot anything (a deer is around 150, a boar 40). So not a cheap hobby. Although you do get a regular supply of game.

And then thereā€™s the actual hunting, which seems to me to largely consist of standing round in the rain by yourself on guard in case they manage to flush out an animal and it heads your way. You should only shoot downwards at an angle of 45 degrees, so most hunts have lots of miradors. If you are lucky you get to stand on one of those so you can get colder and wetter. But as a new member of a hunt you will probably spend much time standing beside a road just in case an animal appears so you can warn the traffic. And on maintainanceā€¦

As for the social life thatā€™s probably the best bitā€¦some cabins des chasses are lovely cosy drinking parlours, others are more like hanging out in a nissan hut.

Most hunts have an annual open day, often at the start of the season in September, where you get to find out about your local group. What I have participated in is a night time walk to listen to the deer rutting, which was fascinating.

2 Likes

Our neighbours for the past 27 years are a wealthy family whose children/adolescents have over the years been the cause of aggravation. This was mainly noise related to parties in a barn which, although 500m from us boomed through the night. Their arrival by helicopter and the buzzing of our garden seems to have reduced and is now replaced hunting related noise pollution. They appear to have converted the property into a commercial venture catering for large groups in the summer months and shooting parties at this time of year. Over the years they bought up many fields around the area which they seem to allow to be farmed in the spring and summer but at this time of year they leave areas of maize and release pheasants, which they breed, into the fields for the shooting parties to blast away at. They also have two etangs on the property on which they use jet skis in the summer but now use for hunting duck.
I have just been in our garden with our 5 month old Schnauzer puppy and one hunter was firing his gun no more than 10m from the boundary of our property.
Long story for a simple question; is it legal to discharge a firearm so close to anotherā€™s property? We have recently retired after 35 years of globe trotting and was not expecting to be living next to what amounts to be a firing range.
Many thanks
Hugh

Hughā€¦ I reckon you need to get in contact with your local ā€œChasse Policeā€. Hunting does have very strict controls and it does sound rather as if your neighbours are not behaving as they should.

If you can give me some idea of where you are located (nearest large town) I will try and find contact details for the folk who ā€œPoliceā€ that area/region.

1 Like