Hunters - beware

So we are realizing that letting our boundaries be known is important. We are in a forested area with lots of wildlife and lots of hunters. Hunting season is now open so we want to put out some clear messages. Animals are welcome on our property, hunters are not. There are some unfenced forested areas. We want to put up clear but friendly notices in French. Any suggestions?

1 Like

I suggest you visit your Mairie and discuss your situation and ask for their advice.

1 Like

Can understand totally why you need this …

http://france-sans-chasse.org/chasse-france/interdire-la-chasse-chez-soi

What happens locally, when property changes hands…is that the Chasse discuss with the new owner…about whether or not the land can be used by the Chasse. I get asked to translate for both sides…if and when necessary. :slightly_smiling_face:

Our commune is large in land and hosts 3 different Chasse.

The Maire is a passionate hunter and he found my " less than enthousiastic" response very funny. I don’t expect much support there. We just want to warn those who don’t know our feelings about this in a nice way.

That’s how it should be all over Stella, and it’s great that locally for your area it works out well. Alas for other parts of France it’s not the same.
I have had some bad experiences in ‘la France profond’ with the Chasse.
My very first house in France, again in deeply rural France, there were issues with certain members being ‘well oiled’ and crossing our land with loaded guns and firing withing 3 metres of the house!
My present house I have spoken to the Mayor twice, once privately and once publicly in a local debate over bad practises. He knows what goes on, he agrees with me, in private, but tries to avoid confrontations because here the Chasse rules !

Oh so that sounds like a good established way to arrange it. Our property isn’t that big, but part of it is forested. I don’t think the hunters would be tempted to actually come on our land to hunt but if they’re chasing something I want them to know that the critters can find a safe refuge here.

Fortunately, we have a “Chasse Policeman”… I forget his official title… who lives in our Commune… :slightly_smiling_face:

He has asked everyone who has any qualms/problems to discuss directly with him and he will (and does) take action.

Wow - I love that!

OMG Ann, so close to the house! Terrifying!

“Reservations” (protected areas) play an important role in wildlife conservation… and the Chasse knows this well enough.

Perhaps you should emphasise this aspect … speak again at the Mairie and/or ask for a Chasse contact…to discuss your situation.

Thanks Ann, I’ll see how much I can decipher with my rusty French.

Ann… such behaviour is totally unacceptable… you should talk with your local Chasse Policeman… what Department are you ??

It is in no-one’s interest to have folk messing with guns and alcohol. :open_mouth:

“les lieutenants-de-la-louveterie” - chasse police

Normally the Mayor has the powers to ‘act’ as a policeman local, of course not just for hunters but in other instances.
My present house ( fenced garden all around) backs onto a’ Espace Naturel Sensible’ a wonderful place with various walks open to the public. It doesn’t stop the hunters arriving early in the morning, sometimes at the weekends and on two occasions at night where lights where used to attract the animals ( not saying this was the Chasse ‘normal’) but it does go on time to time.
The gendarmes know but are too far away to get here when it’s happening, the Mayor knows, not just me but others have raised questions of security.

I understand your concerns Beverly, my first house had a lot of land, it was mainly fenced but it didn’t stop the chasse from passing close to the house, or from firing much too close to a residence.

I was so angry that on one occasion I went and confronted them, they were like little kids caught with their hands in a biscuit tin. They mumbled apologies, they knew that they were in the wrong, but the onus is on the hunt to behave as they should.

I would certainly also post notices saying chasse interdit, you can get these at the d.i.y stores, not sure that they will be respected where you live but at least it’s a start.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but hunters do come onto private land to ‘finish off’ an animal they have wounded, even if you live in the village !

Sounds to me as if your Maire may need a swift **** up the back side…

Is anyone interested in getting the Espace Naturel Sensible into a “protected” status… wonderful habitat for wildlife and safe for walkers… ??

Not just me, but others here took part in a local debate some years ago, this included, at the time, the mayors from neighbouring communes, as well as the deputy for our area.
Bref, a lot of blah de blah and not a lot of action.

I have, since then, reinforced my fencing and installed gates…

OK… if it were me… I would bombard the Deputy… you can get the email address…

Incidentally the Deputy possibly has an office near you with a presence every so often. Face to face discussion might be a useful way to go… :thinking:

If you look up your local federation des chasseurs, here…

You should find that there is a departmental office which will have someone who looks after maintaining rules, plus a link to the environmental gendarmes, and will have lots of information on hunting zones, dates etc etc. Hunting is hugely regulated, which by and large works ok. It is very popular and generally well supported, so often the best way forward is to go and talk directly to the chairman of your local hunt.

We walk our dog every day, so the local hunters now tell us where they will be so we can avoid the area, and give us bones for the dog.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, We’re busy making signs at the moment. I’m hoping it will be enough.

1 Like

@Beverley

Do you have the usual and very simple…single-strand wire fencing… which marks the boundary betwixt one Owner and another… ??