Hunters

According to Lozere Nouvelle (our local rag) 24-year-old man shot dead in Lozere while out mushrooming. The 75-year-old hunter who shot him in the head said he thought he was shooting at a boar. The dead man wasn't even in the designated hunting area.

no elaine, simply that Ns did not necessarily bother to cook meat, omnivores eat everything and their teeth were real grinders. No haute cuisine necessary there. I see you also know Devnagari/Hindi/Nepali. Rama-rama!

thank you Brian, I am not sure i fully understand what you've just said - are you telling me than neanderthals were most probably vegetarian? .... i am sure this debate could run and run and it's great to hear from you all - i will now take a graceful exit form this discussion as i feel i have nothing of use left to add - it is a very emotive subject and its great to hear stories of responsible hunters as there are too many stories of the irresponsible ones, illustrating clearly once again, that people are people each one of us unique. namaste x

OK elaine you wanted it, especially since I live a spit away from one of the most fantastic hunter-gatherer period caves and some 20 odd minutes drive from Mr Magnon's rock shelter that gave the term Cro-Magnon to the world, which is really hunter gatherer. Yep, for most of our time as homo sapiens sapiens we were hunter gatherers and our recently but rapid drift into post-hunter would say that we probably, by nature, err more on the side of being hunters than not. Sum ergo, the French hunters come out well ahead on points. Neanderthals had omnivore type teeth, especially suited for grinding uncooked foods, the cuisine francaise does not fare so well if that is what you consider them to be. Voila!

Fortunately we've had nothing like that and we've managed to keep the deer on our land from being shot. They're a bit mad in the sud aveyrong Ruth, sounds a lot more peaceful in the landes ;-)

We're also in Les Landes and our local hunters are v civilised, calling their dogs to heel when we meet them out riding, always making a noise to let us know when they are in the woods etc. etc. As RDR said, it varies hugely from place to place.

When still living in the Aveyron (12) we lost 5 Siamese cats (they look like hares, they said), one dog (a black and white Border Collie looks like a deer?) and one almost 'domesticated' wild boar to hunters. The boar was shot on our land and when we reported it, they killed yet another cat. Later, they came to apologise (ha!) and offered us a 'delicious' piece of meat of what used to be our 'Jean-Jacques' the boar. I won't repeat what I told them, but they kept away from our property, thank G-d.

Now, living in les Landes, I have had no problem whatsoever with the hunters and that while living in the middle of woods that are truly abundant with wildlife. They keep their distance, always warn people going into the woods, stick to rules. Mentality of hunters differs from place to place, departement to departement.

i hear you Andrew and you Brian, thank you both for your comments. I have a small animal allotment here in the UK and my 'neighbours' all keep livestock for the pot.... some show rare breed sheep but the majority breed their own meat so i am accustomed to animals going to slaughter - i don't like it - but that's my view - the animals are all well kept, fed etc and then go for slaughter - pretty much how i see french farmers - keeping well cared for animals and producing good meat without sentimentality - the hunt i feel is more about the freedom to hunt and probably a hang on from the neanderthal days....like you say Andrew, a cultural thing. And i'm sure Brian will pull me on the neanderthal comment lol!

not really no - we have two horses but my OH would never go out when the hunt's on ;-)

And not great for horse riding :)

central Paris?! no I don't think anyone would ever ban it - they'd never be re-elected!

oh one last question..... are there any departments in France that have banned the hunt or where the hunt is less popular?

Elaine, sorry the car thing was a bit tongue in cheek ;-) but yes that's pretty much it but pretty much everyone accepts teh situation, it's rare that you don't know there's a hunt on, you can say no to them coming on your land as brian said and these days they nearly all wear the bright orange caps and jackets so you can see them for miles around, infact as soon as you see a load of old white C15 and renault express parked in fields/road side you know there's a hunt on, it's instinctive (for those who have lived here a while and my OH is a French farmer's daughter too BUT her whole family don't like hunters - which brings me on to another point for the record, it's not a sport that farmers generally participate in contrary to the UK). The vast majority do everything they should do, yes accidents do happen and the insurance pays out etc again as Brian has already said.

It's cultural - for a while I went to the local archery club and found myself celebrating one evening the fact that one of the archers had managed to kill a deer - funny thing i haven't been since!

okay thank you - i have a greater understanding now -)))

elaine, think you have it there!

so Andrew, as i understand it (please forgive my ignorance as I do not know a lot) when the chasse is on (and this is at certain times and well publicized but can vary from department to department) if you get shot by a hunter its your fault for being in the pubic realm while the hunt is on - basically the hunters have priority to the land during this period (either due to generally consensus or historical practice) so if you are out with your children walking the woods and a tragedy occurs - its just tough! true? and no one will be held to account over it. Now cars, I take you point along with cigarettes, excessive drinking et all (they all kill us) but they do get us around and until public transport steps up to meet need then we have to put up with our cars....and it is a choice thing - living in a free will universe etc etc..... it would appear that choice is limited when the hunt is on though in favour of the hunters along with respect and tolerance for other countryside users

Shock horror perhaps, but that is it. One could sue the association if they were within 150 metres of a dwelling or shooting over a public highway, etc BUT find a lawyer to take the case on! As Andrew says, they have their own party. Ben is right about inadvertent when the rules are being followed, for the rest of it the insurance covers that nicely and quietly, nobody bickers. If the hunt has to pay out they do. If you want your land taken out of the hunt that is fine, but if there is a stag or boar walking along your perimeter and in go several shots, well... I think the principle is you should not have been in the way.

au fait, The worst thing about them are their dogs that bark all night, my neighbour's are a real pain. I've also confronted a hunter on my land who was very polite and appologetic and just there trying to catch his dog. they're a pain but they're part of France and French social culture.

I'm not a hunter but know plenty. It's a huge sport here in France and the numbers of injuries, although deplorable, aren't that high when you look at the overall picture. If you want to stop people killing each other then stop them driving - near on 4000 people killed each year on French roads. The hunting lobby is also extremely powerful with their own political party (see below). France... what's going on - what's always been going on but is far more controlled now ;-)

so the hunting party, head of the hunt etc is not held responsible for those who hunter under him/her? The 'club' is not closed down, temporarily or permanently, no 'first bite' register type of thing??? just tough luck on the family whose loved one ges a bullet in the head for their 'beloved' being 'unfortunate' enough to stroll in the way of a hunters bullet.........oh France........... what's going on?