I hate the Tories, but I'm also done with genocide Starmer

To be fair to Starmer though, he has spoken out on the Nike/Cross of St George gaff.

Well done, :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Starmer damned with feint praise.

Letā€™s face it, heā€™s a bullshitter and Labour has no polices or convictions. As Galloway said, two cheeks of the same arse. I never would have believed that things would sink so low that that Galloway is one of the few MPs I agree with.

3 Likes

Is Starmerā€™s position on Gaza/Israel any different to the EUā€™s?

People need to bear in mind that Galloway has ā€˜skin in the gameā€™ as heā€™s been a ā€˜Friend of Palestineā€™ most of his political life, heā€™s a convert to Islam and his last three wives have been Muslim. Heā€™s used this connection to get elected in constituencies with a large Muslim population more than once, letā€™s see what happens later in the year whether he sticks with Rochdale or tries for a different seat.

5 Likes

Heā€™s already demonstrated his commitment to Rochdale.

Letā€™s just acknowledge that heā€™s just another Farage style grifter, forever chasing relevance.

6 Likes

Me too, but also Diane Abbott, the supreme numpty, but I strongly disagree that what she was banished for was racist. And as far as her treatment for that is concerned, downright disgraceful.

2 Likes

The difference in treatment between her and others who make some far more serious gaffes is quite marked, I wonder why that could be.
For example, Laura Trott couldnā€™t understand her own fiscal framework and it was hardly mentioned but Abbott getting a number wrong is front page news.

5 Likes

Does anyone remember Liz Truss? No one, not Diane Abbott, not Laura Trott, absolutely no one will out numpty her. If Bojo and Trump produced a love child with the worst of their respective traits it couldnā€™t out numpty Dizzy Lizzy. Abbott was caught of guard with some financial figures and it was entertaining for about 5 minutes. Truss trashed the economy in a time frame not much longer.

3 Likes

Abbott is permanently off guard. She looks either to be always under the influence of substances either liquid or otherwise whenever she gives an interview. She doesnt do the lab party any favours along with other of the same party.

Heavens, I was neither defending her nor any of the Tory B team. The Tory A team is bad enough.
My point about Truss stands. Her level of ineptitude will be difficult to surpass. But with current shallow pool of talent, never say never.

There are some MPā€™s who shouldnā€™t get anywhere near a senior ministerial position, Truss and Abbott are prime examples of this but for very different reasons - Truss is just totally incompetent whereas Abbott courts controversy and makes gaffs under pressure.

Iā€™m reading Rory Stewartā€™s political memoir, Politics on the Edge, at the moment. His accounts of interactions with Truss and Johnson (both were his bosses in different ministries) really lays bare how incompetent they are. The book presents a pretty damning picture of UK politics as a whole, but is still an entertaining read.

I found his writing style very difficult and just couldnā€™t get on with it.

It seems to me that with the current government there has been a return to Victorian style politics. A government that only cares about high earners, and sod the rest. The NHS is being run down to introduce an American style system, people (wealthy) are increasingly turning to private health insurance and the poor get a crappy system, or none at all in case of dental care, Tory gov donā€™t care they and their donors donā€™t use the NHS, social care is equally in disarray, the water companies and farmers are polluting with impunity, every river in the UK is seriously polluted, on shore wind power is being discouraged because it might upset a few wealthy landowners, instead off shore wind farms need to build 100ā€™s of pylons to get the power to where it needs to be !!Seriously the UK canā€™t do better than this. A maverick like George Galloway is not going to sort out the problems in the UK, he couldnā€™t even get a cabinet together, a man who role played being a cat, really!
This terrible party who lead us into BREXIT which has ruined the UK needs to go.

1 Like

No, heā€™s not, goodness knows who will and how long it will take. But I do like to hear him rubbing their noses in the mess they have created. Itā€™s therapeutic. Whenever Sunak does his breathless, enthusiastic schoolboy act and lists off just how well things are going we need a Galloway (or something compatible) in the background shouting ā€œrubbishā€.

Exactly. They wouldnā€™t dare use it (unless theyā€™re in an emergency and need to dial 999) so begrudge having to pay for it.

True, but possibly not for the reason you think.

Yes, they have private healthcare - but that covers only a limited range of conditions and does not provide emergency care at all so if they get (say) appendicitis they are headed to an NHS facility, as @Gareth says.

I think at least part of the issue is heavy selection bias - having any form of chronic health condition severely limits your earning capacity so the Ć¼ber wealthy also tend to be a self-selected healthy bunch.

The result is that, not only can they not concieve what it is like to use the NHS, they canā€™t even really concieve what it is to be ill, especially to suffer from chronic illness.

Itā€™s why they think everyone with Long Covid are workshy scroungers.

1 Like

I think Iā€™ve stumbled into a ā€œSurvive UKā€ forumā€¦

2 Likes

You are not the first to make this opbservation, nor will you be the last.

Obviously we are all united by a connection to France, but most of us are also Brits, which does tend to mean that we also have an interest in the UK, some of us still have to live there.

Of course, if the UK was not such a shambles at the moment there would be a lot less to talk aboout.

2 Likes

That was a long stumble :rofl:

2 Likes