I have to say it, the silence on this genocide shames us all

I don’t know what you would call it other than genocide. Ethnic cleansing isn’t any better.

I can’t post a link but Led by Donkeys have hung up a building wrap with a picture of a destruction scene in Gaza and it’s directly opposite Labour HQ in London.

1 Like

Whatever it’s called is down to semantics, but the fact remains, around 60,000 Palestinians have been killed.

It was disappointing to see David Draiman , from the band Disturbed (memories of the 90’s music scene!) recently signing an Israeli missile, with the words F.U. naively thinking it was specifically targeted at Hamas.

1 Like

Are you also outraged at all the Christians and Druze killed in Syria?

2 Likes

Yes.

Moving on…

4 Likes

Here’s an article on the Led by Donkeys protest. Interesting to note that they were defended by Keir Starmer a few years ago over another protest.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/activists-unfurl-huge-banner-depicting-suffering-in-gaza-outside-london-labour-hq-with-message-of-support-for-palestine-action/ar-AA1J3GPq

I am extremely outraged by this genocide and greatly saddened to see innocent people being used as fodder. In some ways it surely comes down to the fact that some bloke named Donald gives backing to the aggressors.
I also find it alarming that most people are more concerned with how groups of people are addressed instead of their actions.

1 Like

the systematicdestruction in Gaza not only of housing but also of other infrastructure — government buildings, hospitals, universities, schools, mosques, cultural heritage sites, water treatment plants, agriculture areas, and parks — reflects a policy aimed at making the revival of Palestinian life in the territory highly unlikely.

According to a recent investigation by Haaretz, an estimated 174,000 buildings have been destroyed or damaged, accounting for up to 70 percent of all structures in the Strip. So far, more than 58,000 people have been killed, according to Gazan health authorities, including more than 17,000 children, who make up nearly a third of the total fatality count. More than 870 of those children were less than a year old.

More than 2,000 families have been wiped out, the health authorities said. In addition, 5,600 families now count only one survivor. At least 10,000 people are believed to still be buried under the ruins of their homes. More than 138,000 have been wounded and maimed.

Some might describe this campaign as ethnic cleansing, not genocide. But there is a link between the crimes. When an ethnic group has nowhere to go and is constantly displaced from one so-called safe zone to another, relentlessly bombed and starved, ethnic cleansing can morph into genocide.

Israel’s actions could be understood only as the implementation of the expressed intent to make the Gaza Strip uninhabitable for its Palestinian population. I believe the goal was — and remains today — to force the population to leave the Strip altogether or, considering that it has nowhere to go, to debilitate the enclave through bombings and severe deprivation of food, clean water, sanitation and medical aid to such an extent that it is impossible for Palestinians in Gaza to maintain or reconstitute their existence as a group.

As the author of this article, and other respected scholars mentioned have said, we can all recognise a genocide when we see one.

8 Likes

I posted a similar opinion a few weeks ago and still maintain that, until there is a sizeable international economic and cultural boycott of everything coming out of Israel, nothing is going to change.

5 Likes

Unfortunately , the only way that is likely to happen is if there is a vast international grass roots campaign similar to that which helped end the Apartheid regime in SA (that had been supported by Israel).

Sadly, that might take years…

3 Likes

It’s certainly going to be too late for Palestine.

It’s horrible.

3 Likes

The issue with this is that Israel have been very smart in embedding themselves into the world’s defence systems. A family friend has been with Thales in the UK since it was Racal back in the early 70s. These days he consults for the entire group going, getting dragged out of retirement to go round the world doing deals in multi billions for them, and spends a decent amount of time in Israel. He’s very tight lipped as you can imagine but I suspect it’s because a lot of the software aspects of defence systems comes out of there, and from what I understand they also do a roaring trade in drones. I suspect as much as we may all boycott our Sodastreams and Keter garden furniture, it may not actually be possible for governments to stop sending huge sums there unless they want things to start falling out of the sky or stop working in war zones…

2 Likes

Shocking and stupid. The worst genocide ever in terms of numbers, seeing this is what we’re reduced to, was in Cambodia, perpetrated by Pol Pot and his buddies. Are we not to call it that any more? Words have meanings and what is being done in Gaza by an administration which I know my eminently sane intelligent and empathetic Jewish friends do not approve of, is genocide.

Caroline Yadan should be ashamed of herself.

6 Likes

Social, family and the Jewish omertà make it difficult for her, I would imagine. I can sympathise, but this IS a genocide and she wasn’t elected just to represent the Jewish far right. .Or was she :thinking:

While the Muslims are being slaughtered only kilometres away, the Jews are partying on the beach.

1 Like

I think it is admirable to help this group and hope others will feel the same and send a contribution. 22 months in and these SOB still starving their neighbours - what a world we live in - every Tom, Dick and Harry has been spouting against the genocide but nobody is powerful enough to cut off the US funding. Nobody else’s efforts seem to be paying off : https://www.hindrajabfoundation.org/

According to the article this was residents rather than tourists.

1 Like

It’s hard to take it in. I understand revenge on Hamas but not on innocents. I do not understand why Palestinians are not hell bent on eliminating Hamas. Will of Allah? I wonder how loved ones of the hostages feel about the tragedy. Two Wrongs Do Not Make a Right.

This forum is about surviving France. I am sick of hearing about : genocide: . Palestine,Ukraine etc. I don’t believe the media and I don’t care what you think. Please take your virtue signalling elsewhere. Thanks ever so.

3 Likes

If what’s discussed here doesn’t suit you, you don’t have to read it or you could even go elsewhere

7 Likes

If that is your view, might I suggest that your SF experience will be much better if you mute the politics category (Profile, then Preferences, then Tracking)

What you can’t do, I’m afraid, is tell people what they can and cannot discuss on the site.

If you want to shape the conversation contribute and chip in more.

8 Likes