I wasn't expecting that

I’ve got some oddities “healthwise” myself and I have the neighbours chuckling at my antics when I choose to make fun of myself… but… as you say, that is completely different.

1 Like

Two excerpts from the attached article :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Best actor winner Will Smith took offence at a joke by presenter Chris Rock

[/quote]

“It was not the first time he had made a joke at her expense. In 2016, Rock hosted the Academy Awards in the year of the #OscarsSoWhite scandal, which led to Jada snubbing the ceremony.

But, as Rock humorously (and correctly) pointed out: “Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties. I wasn’t invited!””

“I think it brings new meaning to the term punchline,” Rebel Wilson joked at the Vanity Fair afterparty. “I’m lucky I got through the Baftas unscathed.” Wilson made light of the fact that Smith wasn’t present to collect his best actor prize when she hosted the Bafta Film Awards in London earlier this month.

“Will Smith won for King Richard, but I thought his best performance over the past year was being OK with all his wife’s boyfriends,” she joked from the stage, a reference to the couple’s apparently open relationship.

After an audible gasp from the crowd, the Australian comic added: “What? Come on, he didn’t show up.”

You should try to start an RFC. Similar to IPoAC (RFC 1149)

Just to add to this discussion. The best comedy is often ‘on the edge’ of what may be acceptable.
That’s a fine tightrope to traverse. If you get just the right aide of it, it can be hillarious to many people. But, get just the wrong side and you can be villified.
That’s the sort of thing that comedians have to accept. And as a society, we have to accept that as well.

2 Likes

Why do we have to accept it :thinking:

Because comedy is a part of human nature, and hence part of society. Nobody is perfect, and sometimes people get things wrong. Shit happens.

1 Like

At least it made the Oscars remotely interesting for the first time.

Will Smith played Muhamed Ali in a film, Chris Rock got off lightly. That said Will should have taken him apart verbally for such a nasty comment to someone who through no fault of their own has suffed a debiliating problem.

Ricky Gervais punches up, which is what good comedians do.

1 Like

Will Smith banned from Oscars for 10 years over slap

The weird thing is that Rock’s shows were a sell-out instead of being half full immediately afterwards.

I am revising my original comment about Ricky Gervais punching up.
It looks like he’s now punching down when it comes to transgendered people.
Not good.

1 Like

There’s always been that rather unpleasant side to him, people just chose not to see it generally because of the punching up. He’s done a Frankie Boyle but in reverse, Boyle always considered everyone ‘fair game’, there was never any malice intended as everyone got a dose of his comedy he said, and to some degree he’s right, and I can see that, but even he has since come to see that in a truly level playing field having a comedy level playing field is definitely where things should be, but when some are not on a level with others, it’s just easy and lazy to punch down when you could put your energy into punching up. Gervais is incredibly funny at times, but for someone who is actually meant to be pretty smart his ideas often don’t do more than scratch the surface, it’s at the level of ‘comedy should be able to make fun of everyone’ without then going into the nuances of that that truly good comedians would.

2 Likes

I hadn’t thought of him in relation to Boyle, but now that you mention it, it’s exactly right.

1 Like