ID checks and tax on gains

I think you should contact the French Tax folk to ask their thoughts on your situation … and likewise the UK Tax folk (if not already done…)

I posted this on the other thread mentioning CGT on UK property >> Tax implications selling our house in UK

Blevins Franks - 2020 tax guide - snip:

What about selling your property?

In France, the gain on the sale of your French main home is always exempt from capital gains tax

provided that the property is your actual home at the time of sale.

However, under the UK/France Double Tax Treaty, if you are French tax resident, gains arising on

UK properties are subject to French capital gains tax at 36.2% including social charges (plus a surtax

of between 2% and 6% where the gain is more than €50,000). This would apply even if the property

was your main home before you moved to France. You could also be liable to UK capital gains tax

and in this case, to avoid double taxation, you would get a tax credit in France for tax paid in the UK.

@graham can you tell me how to link this thread with Tax implications selling our house in UK ??? I’ve made them both Legal Advice…

yes…uk tax sorted with my accountant…getting in touch with local tax French office…I spoke to a friend that had same experience of @AngelaR and @JaneJones … not long ago…before summer …he presented his hmrc paper to show cgt were paid in UK and they were happy with that…nothing to declare
Pls if anyone reads that do your own research and always speak to a professional…ultimate with a local french tax office; they dont take calls but email probably better
thx

@Pat99 Provided you declare everything to the French Tax folk… they will give you their best advice.

Each case is dealt with on its own merits and folk can come unstuck by thinking they can simply do what they’ve heard from friends/others.

It is the French Tax folk who will assess your own, personal situation… and say what you, yourself, should and should not do re your Declaration/Tax situation…
What you need to do and how you need to do it…
and, possibly, what you do not need to do…

Have your questions ready for them…

good luck

link to tax implications selling house in UK

I thought I had to press the chain-link thingy… so I pressed it and got lost… :wink:

@graham I pressed your bit in blue… and it took me on a magic carpet ride

@Stella corrected :roll_eyes:

1 Like

thank you and I agree…also I will suggest anyone with doubts to stop reading website they tell you whats the rules…most of them is copied and pasted from other sites …I can confirm that.
My recent friend scenario is very similar to mine and not just something I heard thru someone else…I directly spoke to him and he showed me all relevant paper works… that said …every scenario is different I agree but the more I do research and the more is clear to me that France are not really interested in UK property if cgt paid already but are more concerned about property sold in French land.
So pls anyone has this issue contact the local french office only and do not follow websites…seems they ate all notaire to me lol
Was a pleasure having this discussion with you and to everyone else Sunbeam

Ciaoooo

France is interested in every aspect of one’s income, which is why the Declaration is so extensive.

good luck.

I think I will have to disagree on that…I asked my auntie ( french from my mum side ) to ask her local tax office and they clearly showed zero interest on a uk property where cgt where paid but I strongly suggest anyone with same issue to directly speaking to them and do not rely on forums as you also suggested earlier.
thank you