Ideas for a self-made garden gate sign please

We got a little engraved sign made up for not very much at a local cordonnerie. Or you could buy a pack of stencils for a couple of euros and hand paint…

nice signage Jane… but someone has nicked your right hand screw :wink:

I just noticed that when I went out to take photo :slightly_frowning_face: Another job to add to the list…

1 Like

was it ever there? there are no witness marks to suggest one was there before and since removed…

I would suggest bespoke clay tile. The artisan could place nail holes in the wet clay, before firing. A glazed clay tile would last a long time… If you have a local market where potters sell their wares, you might sketch what you want and talk with them?

3 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with cack-handed… except that I couldn’t cut a straight slice of bread if I tried! :woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

My daughter used a side of a wooden wine box, drew the words in pencil, filled it in with blackboard paint then sealed it with spray varnish to make her house sign. Very cheap as the box was going to the rubbish, the paint was left from her blackboard wall and she’d bought the tin of varnish for another project.

2 Likes

Here’s an alternative suggestion to encourage pulling rather than pushing:
Many large gates have a jockey wheel under the post furthest from the hinge. This is so that the hinges aren’t doing all of the support.

Gates like this will often have a track for the wheel set into the ground. This is typically made by putting engineering bricks or cobbles in the earth following the path of the jockey wheel - a quarter of a circle.

The track gives a clear indication of how the gate needs to be opening so you probably wouldn’t need a sign at all…

4 Likes

BHV used to sell enamelled signs like that in the basement. Is BHV still at the Hôtel de Ville…I need to visit Paris soon !!!

1 Like

I used to love the basement!

1 Like

I wanted to post “BHV??” but the system wouldn’t let me as it wasn’t a sentence. Do I have to speak in complete sentences? Ah well - the question still stands though!

Ask and ye shall find…

Thanks Brian! Looks a bit…er…up market? I’d have to find some smart clothes to shop there methinks :smiley:

@AngelaR

Google is so useful (at times)

you can take your pick of these suggestions…

1 Like

1 Like

Just wanted to say the sign for the cack-handed gates has worked well. So thanks everyone for your comments.

Gates continue to be cack-handed, but both Dutch and now French guests have had no problems working out which way to open them.

5 Likes

That looks good @SuePJ and no-one could really misinterpret it! (Does it say “Push” on the other side or is it obvious? :thinking: )

1 Like

OH thought I ought to do sign for push, but in fact since their first experience of the gate is always from the pull side they don’t need the push, they’ve worked it out for themselves, which is as well as I’d run out of time. :grin:

3 Likes