Ideas required please

No connection to any of them really. I used to have an old wind-up gramophone player which was badly damaged in transit. I think I could find a modern stylus which would fit on my record deck to actually play them. It’s a pity cos’ I’m sure someone / collector or association could get a lot of pleasure from them.

3 Likes

https://www.amazon.fr/ION-Audio-Air-LP-Conversion/dp/B00XCETWIW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=3D19M05LOOSRM&

https://www.amazon.fr/ION-Audio-Premier-LP-numériques/dp/B07NDZ7G8B/ref=mp_s_a_1_3
ION Audio Premier LP

1 Like

Nice machines G36. I already use a nice Audio Technica deck which I can convert to take 78s ( by combining the two speeds 45 + 33 = 78). A decent quality stylus is quite pricey.
Thanks for the links.

I have an old "anorak"friend in the UK who collects 78s. In fact he collects wind up gramophone players, he has a house full of them. He gives talks and demonstrations and sometimes plays at functions as a “wind up DJ”. I do not like to imagine his face if he read about people melting 78s!

2 Likes

Lovely. A bit fast for a waltz today though, like a lot of older ones more like a Viennese (though a Viennese would hopefully be a bit faster these days too).

Eerie when you hear something and know by the date of it, everyone that produced it must be gone now.

1 Like

Try listing them on eBay. They appear in mint condition and could be valuable to collectors.

1 Like

Hi
There is a chap
In my painting group who buys old records as he deals with them… might be worth a shot? Let me know so i can give you his number.

I’d avoid eBay like the plague as it’s been a scammer’s paradise for years.

I’ve never sold anything there, but have bought from there with never a problem.

1 Like

Also sold plenty and not had a problem just as in any walk of life there are less than honest people around, fortunately in the minority (not including the house of commons)

Yes shame about the Bowie album, rare now

It’s a shame about which Bowie album ?

Ziggy - as pictured in the first post?

Got it, I missed zooming in the first time around.

1 Like

Yeah, it was an original from the 70s but somehow became warped and unplayable. An iconic album for me and very playable fifty years on. It’s up there with Led Zepp 4, Tubular Bells etc on the iconic scale.

There are record flatteners out there.

1 Like

There is a shop in the (repurposed) Green Park Station in Bath which speclalises in reselling old records. It would maye be worth a websearch?

1 Like