Ideas required please

Hello,
I’m having a clear out and found a few boxes of old 78 records, most with covers as in the photo. The music content is mainly band or military music. I just wondered what I could do with them ? I could make them into clocks as with the damaged Bowie album though I think they would be too fragile.
It seems to be a pity to throw them out if they could serve some purpose. Most of the 78s I’ve seen in car boots etc aren’t worth anything.

Ideas please.

1 Like

I find it sad that many historic items are worthless yet priceless in memorabilia.
Even worse to ‘upcycle’
Gawd I hate that word!

Glue them to a sheet of plywood, pour clear casing resin over the top, add some legs and it would be a very hipster coffee/wine/apéro table.

7 Likes

They can also be heated and bent into bowls.

quote=“JohnBoy, post:2, topic:45884”]
Even worse to ‘upcycle’
[/quote]

Why worse to upcycle if stops something being thrown out?

1 Like

Its not the practice of doing it more the name invented to describe it.
Upcycle
Outside space
In the coming days
Etc etc.

Going forward
Being “across” a subject
Issues surrounding a subject

Breathe.

I like Brian’s idea of a table. What about place-settings (or would they be too big, look a bit weird?), again encased in resin.

1 Like

Bear in mind that almost all 78rpm discs are made from shellac and are thus very brittle. The only time I tried heating one it transformed from a solid disc to a molten mess over the range of a few degrees.

1 Like

And here’s a version of the song in the first picture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGQJnCAmuXE&ab_channel=The78Prof

That’s a brilliant idea Brian, certainly original.

Thanks for that porridge. Written in 1919 and one of the first 20 recordings to sell over a million copies !
Interesting stuff.

1 Like

Whereas 33rpm are mainly vinyl hence the reccurence of vinyl which can be made into fruit bowls etc

The discs are very fragile so any manipulation would be a disaster. I have about 100 discs which have always been in the family due to one of the members ran that shop in Gt Yarmouth. They have followed me around ever since.

1 Like

If you decide to give it a try do send me a pm as I may be able to offer some assistance - either theoretical or possibly practical!

2 Likes

Ah… there’s a historical family connection. That’s wonderful.

In which case, depending on space and money… my suggestions would be:

Glasstopped table with discs in their covers safely underneath… (thus visible but preserved for some future family member wth other ideas).

Frame 'em under glass or perspex (lighter)and hang on the walls…

In our bedroom several of the chests of drawers have glazed tops with family photos and other treasured bits and bobs placed underneath… thus on view… not hidden away… but safe from damage/deterioration.
Your discs in their covers do have a certain depth, but it’s still easy to do this sort of thing

Or… I’m wondering if there is a musical museum… or similar… for Gt Yarmouth or elsewhere… which might be glad to have some of these memorabilia

I just found it on Spotify by searching for Julián Robledo. It’s like watching an old film without the images.

2 Likes

Can’t believe it’s over one hundred years old !

4 Likes

Yes Stella, the glass top surfaces sound ideal. Problem is I have about 100 discs to get rid of !
There is a maritime museum at Gt Yarmouth who will Im sure, be happy to take some of discs plus covers to put on their walls in one of their sections.
I will buy a cheap clock mechanism and fit it to a disc just see what it looks like.

1 Like

Use them as “wallpaper” in smallest room? Ikea have verry narrow lesning shelves, or measure prefevtlyy aligned decorstive nails to pop them on?

1 Like

Keep the ones your have the strongest connection to and take the rest to a record auction?

You can always donate the proceeds to a cause dear to your heart.

2 Likes

Yes,thought of doing that in one room. Certainly a novel idea. They would be an original form of wall decoration.

2 Likes