If its 40 in a French garden what are temps in Africa

Not as much fun as far north Queensland. I think there’s roads now but north of Port Douglas up to the Torres straights is mental and Cookstown is never to be forgotten.

1 Like

Some years ago we got the Ghan from Adelaide to Alice Springs and then drove to Uluru in a Landcruiser with a few diversions. That was fun. It’s just struck me we could have taken it from Darwin this time and then flown from Alice Springs back to Perth. That way we’d have done the whole route, wonder if it’s too late to change? I’ll have a look.

1 Like

We flew from Uluru to Cairns and took off up the Captain Cook Highway and spent a couple of nights in a lodge on the Daintree river, beside the rain forest. We didn’t have time to explore further north but I’d love to, maybe one day.

1 Like

Dear Moderators. Reading all these posts about Oz is making me nostalgic. Am I allowed to advertise my books on this site? If so, wish you would all buy my book (Amazon) Stuff The Pension about the year I spent in the Land of Oz. Magical.

1 Like

Done, now I will scrutinise it for grammatical errors :joy: (joke).

1 Like

OMG John Scully! You didn’t! Love you forever. PLEASE scrutinise for typos. Am way past being offended. Or precious. Thank you thank you thank you. Made my day.

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to reading it on holiday in Oz Pamela.

1 Like

My regular run for a time was between Katherine NT to a station near Wyndham WA and in the '60s only 75 of the 300 odd miles was bitumen. The rest was deep red dust so we tried to keep some miles between us to allow it to settle. Felt sorry for the occupants of a tourist bus which had pulled up near a river crossing to photograph us as we went by. I have no idea why they were still there because I wasn’t first in the convoy, and as I swept by they disappeared in a cloud of bulldust. :rofl:

I am certain sure it is all sealed now though. :wink: :smiley:

@John_Scully> Done, now I will scrutinise it for grammatical errors :joy: (joke).

If that is on Kindle I’ll get it myself, I could advertise my book too but it is hardback and only available by post from California I think. And way more expensive. :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks for that, John makes me want to dig out the wedding photos - but don’t worry, I won’t post them on this thread :wink:

Shame the resto’s closed and the one at the Zoo. My wife lived in Killarney near Lutyens’ Anglo-Boer war memorial and I used to do quite a bit of art research in the Zoo (see below)
It remains a compelling, but appalling place! Polar bears certainly did not evolve to live (and die) in African sunshine. And the gorilla who survived being shot in his cage by a burglar, and as a result was made an honorary citizen!

1 Like

I think the undrinkability of Moroccan wine was deliberate, so that it didn’t compete with better French wines. It was meant to be bargain basement.

2 Likes

In our youf, me and my missus used to enjoy the odd bottle of….

Bonjour David
Blimey - I might have TWO sales.
What is the title of your book?
What’s it about?
Mine is a travel memoir

Bonjour John
Dying to hear your honest opinion when you get back (do you say home?)
Have never had any feedback on any of my books.

No might about it, you already have 2. :rofl:
One more and you will have exceeded my sales. :roll_eyes:

Back in the 80s I thought I would write my autobiography but never got farther than my experience with the road trains in the NT, so I collected other odd writings that I had done over the years, fiction, non-fiction, poetry, shorts, humour etc. and, after discovering, in 2008, a company who would print a book without any charge whatsoever but just take a cut from sales which were only made on demand and to order, I went ahead.

They always wanted me to promote it at book fairs etc., obviously, but I couldn’t be bothered as I had only really done it for myself. I bought a few just for close family (but sadly not for Dad and the wicked stepmother as the title story was about her :rofl:) and sold 2 to lorry drivers on the drivers’ forum of which I was a mod and still am a daily contributor. Although I did explain that it wasn’t really about drivers they went ahead and bought a copy and I heard no more about it. I think they might have been disappointed but I did warn them. :innocent: Perhaps not, one of them only the other day as we chatted on the forum asked me ‘is your Grandfather’s clock still going?’ Sadly, I had to tell him no. it is here just behind me and has been right twice a day at 3.16 for years. :neutral_face:

Please don’t feel obliged but the title is ‘Grandfather’s Clock and Other Stories’ available (still, I suppose) only from lulu.com and last I heard the price was £15 + postage. The dozen or so that were printed are all marked as first editions so I am fully expecting in 200 years time to be a millionaire. :rofl:

hello David are you Dacvid Marker? If so your book is out of print.
Where is NT? Northern Teritories Oz? BTW if your pen bane is David Marker your book is out of print. If you are a teccie Amazon do free publishing - you only pay for copies. My OH has done loads of my efforts using it. CreateSpace is DEAD. Here's what you need to know.
bonne chance and thank you for supporting a struggling writer!!! wonder if the Moderators will allow me to plug my other masterpieces?

soeey for typo ! not much of an ad for my skills!

sorry another typo

Writing on the phone? Mistakes are amlost cpomulsory.

Yes, you got me, before things changed on SF it was there for all to see too I think. Out of print, that’s wonderful, it means these few treasured volumes are even now increasing in value. :rofl:

As to typos, I don’t have a phone to do such things but I paintakingly read through everything I write (not ‘right’ as I first wrote above :roll_eyes:) often requiring 3 revisits to the text.

Our neighbour here (now deceased) used to get this from our ambulant grocer “for cooking” :wink:.tried it once, never again. Amazing how tastes change….my treat as a young child was a glass of Mateus rosé!

1 Like