If its 40 in a French garden what are temps in Africa

I remember drinking it in Maghreb restos during my 1970’s wanderings, and also remember being pleasantly surprised at finding wine in some of the more remote places, but seem to have completely erased any memory of what it tasted like.

If it was forgettable, it can’t have been that bad! Certainly, I clearly remember the worst food experiences from those travels, the piece of gravel in the couscous that broke one of my teeth, the baquette with a large pilchard inside that hadn’t had its insides removed… there’s more but that’s enough

2 Likes

John, have you had any problems opening Pamela’s book on Kindle? I have tried twice and had lengthy discussion with the chat team at Amazon UK and they are mystified. Although it appeared on both my Kindles I could open it on neither. So sadly cancelled twice, sorry @Pamela_Shields :neutral_face:

All they can say is ‘incompatible with my devices’. :roll_eyes:

Yes, it’s a bit strange David. I can read it using the Kindle app on my iPad, but my Kindle says it’s not compatible with this device :roll_eyes:

That’s what Amazon told me after a lengthy chat. They described it as weird and could not offer any explanation for it, so gave me my money back, twice actually because they asked me to cancel and try again.

Perhaps you might want to have a go at them @Pamela_Shields, not sure how the relationdship works between author and Amazon though.

Even stranger to me, another friend on SF enabled me last year to download and read a book about trees on my Kindles which wasn’t even listed on Amazon. :roll_eyes:

Oh dear David you should not have been able to download it from Amazon if your Kindle is not compatable with that particular file format. Boo hoo.Lost a sale. Thanks for trying.

oops compatible you were right not compatable - call myself a writer!!!

Hi David - encore - The Amazon Page says compatible with

Kindle Fire Tablets
Kindle Fire HD
Kindle Fire
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9’’
Kindle Fire HDX
Kindle Fire (3rd Generation)
Fire HDX 8.9 Tablet
Fire HD 7 Tablet
Fire HD 6 Tablet
Fire HD 10
Fire HD 8
Fire
Free Kindle Reading Apps
Kindle Cloud Reader
Kindle for Android
Kindle for Android Tablets
Kindle for iPhone
Kindle for iPod Touch
Kindle for iPad
Kindle for Mac
Kindle for PC

Try Kindle Cloud Reader on your PC

https://read.amazon.com/kindle-library

Just done that and all my books are there, I didn’t know anything about that and tried to open my current book and lo and behold it opened at the page I am on.
When I was trying to open your book in ‘manage your devices’ it offered cloud as the only option, so it seems to me that if I buy it again and send it here I will be able to read it on the PC. Is that what you think too?

Edit: . Finally managed it. It sent the book to my Library but wouldn’t let me read it from there. I had to download an app from where I finally managed to read. But what a palavar, when I want to go back to it I have to open desktop and find it there before reading. I will keep it there and I will read it, in its turn, but I won’t be doing it for anything else, if it won’t go to Kindle I’ll do without. :wink: :smiley:

So here goes, sorry it has been so long but reading on the computer is not the most comfortable way for me, so there were long periods in between and of course I was reading my several books on the Kindle at the same time.

I loved it. Not that your experience of Australia chimed in any way with mine, you were a tourist flitting back and forth by plane and doing all the touristy things as you went. For me it was quite different, I was travelling and working, sometimes by hitching lifts on the road, sometimes even, unofficially, by train. Like the old time hobos in America as related by Sammy Davis (Autobiography of a Super Tramp) many years ago, ‘riding the rods’, (balancing under the wagons on the axle rods) although I didn’t do anything so dangerous, usually under a caravan (or in it if someone had forgotten to lock it) on a flat bed car. But always with Mathilda (swag or bedroll) on my back .

I wouldn’t have swapped with you, my adventures were what I was seeking but I did derive great pleasure from yours secondhand.

I was surprised that, in comparing Brisbane with Sydney you said the former was hilly and the latter flat. Really? I have to admit that my experience of Brisbane was limited, I passed through almost without stopping, but my experience of Sydney was anything but flat. As a taxi driver there during the Vietnam war many of my passengers were American soldiers on r and r and, many of them, were from San Francisco, and all of them said how the hilly streets reminded them of home. :joy:

I thought at first that you strayed in to the Territory (NT) almost by accident, some of the places you visited seemed to be included in your Queensland story, but nevertheless you did of course see things there that I didn’t. Can you believe that although I worked from and was based in Katherine, that I never saw the famous Katherine Gorge? :astonished: Never had the time of course and not sure if I was even aware of it at the time, but it has to be said that I am the world’s worst tourist. The term always almost embarrassed me for some reason and this is a matter of great regret. After travelling overland to India and then on to Darwin via Hong Kong I left almost all my luggage in storage in Delhi to continue with ‘Mathilda’ and only what could be wrapped in her loving folds. And those folds did not include my camera. :astonished: so no photos of Oz. :roll_eyes:

America. What I would have loved to have done was coast to coast by train, just as you did, slowly. I love long distance trains and another great regret of mine was that I shelved plans to go to Vladivostok and take the Trans Siberian back to Europe. Changed plans in the desire to get home and spread the word about Oz, and never made it back again. :cry:

Biggest criticism? You thought you had got away unscathed, didn’t you? Punctuation. Specifically, quotes. So many times I had to re-read sentences and paragraphs because there were no quotation marks. Was that you or your publisher? Sort it for the next book, please. :grinning:

Not all bad on the computer, there is no way I could have enjoyed all the lovely photos at the end of the book, many of places I had seen, if I had been reading it on Kindle. Now I know how to do it, maybe I will try it again, but it is tiresome so the jury is still out on that.

Biggest joy? And sorry but this betrays my worst trait, just when I thought you were letting Mike off Scot free and leaving everything neatly in order, you did exactly what I was willing you to do. Only a close second, because she was a con artist as opposed to a deranged philanderer, the way you left Sophie’s Belgian hovel. Deeelicious. :rofl:

I could have started a thread in the Culture topic for this revue, but I thought it better to put it in context with all the above.

All in all, well worth the fiver or whatever it was, that I paid for it. Thank you. :joy:

1 Like

Found your review David after talking about it earlier! Don’t do Amazon / kibdle so sadly can’t give an Aussie review on it!

And thank you for bringing to my attention my mis-spelling, revue/review. Not often that happens for this extreme pedant. :rofl:

David! Thank you thank you thank you. Tickled pink you liked it. Thank you so much. Made my day. Would love to read your book re. travelling overland to India and then on to Darwin via Hong Kong. You are a proper traveller. Easier to be a hobo in Oz than anywhere else. ‘ In England, the system is benign, the people are hostile. In America, the people are friendly, the system is brutal’ (Quentin Crisp). Sounds as if you regret conforming! Re. hills. I remember walking down a hill in Briz so steep I took a taxi back. In Sydney I lived on the harbour so didn’t get to see hills. Yes. Amtrak is/was ace. Vladivostok and Trans Siberian wouldn’t that have been something. Where was home? Yes. Punctuation. Lack thereof. OH says I talk like an express train and need a good editor he is brain dead after my reams of consciousness. Me I’m afraid. Can’t get a publisher. Readers of the slush piled loved it but said it had no niche. Said its’a travel memoir but – to put it ungallantly I am a nobody so no-one would buy it. Fair comment. Tant pis. Sans souci. Loved writing it. Yes. Pain reading books on the PC/Tablet. Much prefer a proper book. Easier on the eyes. Delighted you loved the bits about Mike and Sophie the Psychos. Nice people are disgusted!
rolling-on-the-floor-laughing

Well, I know where I stand now then, not nice people. :rofl:

My book, to the best of my recollection, I have a copy alongside of me and have just flitted through the contents, contains nothing of my overland trip to India and then on to Darwin. But there are all sorts of things in it, fiction, non-fiction (ie autobiographical) and a mixture of the 2 where I have retold a real experience and then embellished it for a more interesting ending. I am a big fan of twists in the end. :wink:

Poetry too, again some ironic and based on experience, and, I became a big fan of Haikus and even had one or 2 published in the Guardian.

As part of the introduction says ‘What follows is an eclectic mix of short stories and poems’.
As it is out of print as you say there is not much we can do about it other than perhaps publish one or 2 here, but the few copies in existence are far too valuable to trust to the post. :roll_eyes:

One last thing, all my immediate family have a copy with the one exception of my late Dad. I could hardly send it to him when one of the fanciful stories, indeed the one from which the book title derived, was based entirely on a not very appreciative opinion of the woman he married, 3 months after the death of Mum. Not that I objected to that, as he said at the time, ‘at our age (75) we are not of the generation that lives together, and too old to wait’ (fair enough), but her awful treatment of him when he, due to alzheimers, had little knowledge of what was going on while he was dragged around the world at her whim.