If we Had None?

I bought my French house after visiting Viano do Castelo in northern Portugal. It was beautiful there and I had considered buying a property but when it came down to it France was always going to win. Their weather there was lovely but never as hot as it can get here in the Charente.

Much different there Dom’, been a couple of times on the boat, big diff’ between the climate, from N to S Portugal.
Nice place V’ do C’ :slightly_smiling_face:

Me too. Bill. Found out all of a sudden when I got stuck in a lift at work that had plunged suddenly below basement level. I apparently pressed the alarm bell about 50 times! Having an MRI of my head (they were trying to find a brain before anyone asks :rofl:) was my worst moment ever. Almost pressed the button to get them to pull me out until finally someone turned the fan on & I realised I could breathe!

1 Like

Not a funny experience Vanessa, it was here in France I realised I had an on going problem, it was in a cave in Lozère, I had to get out, told Babeth and headed for the entrance, weird, hadn’t had the problem for many years previously.

MRI =instant claustrophobia… hadn’t had the problem before though…

1 Like

When I left BNFL the last time, I had to have a scan to establish, how much plutonium I contained ( was stealing), it’s a whole body scanner, jeez, I was so glad to get out of that thing, at the time, I didn’t know I had a problem.
But I do have a cert’, somewhere stateing , how ‘active’ I am, Babeth says, not active enough :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:thinking: what sort of activity???

1 Like

If the lecky went off we would live in our camping-car.
The solar panels in full sun give us 6kw of power, works lights tv computer microwave etc.
Gas for cooking and heating. Just the chore of emptying the waste.
Patricia

When I had to have an mri scan I was really scared so visited my gp who prescribed 5mg valium. I took it an hour before and I also kept my eyes firmly closed whilst in the scanner. Because the fan blows air around you as long as my eyes were shut it felt bigger than it was.
When they pulled me out I thought I’d only been in the scanner 5 minutes. I’d actually been in it for 20 minutes!

That would be fine if just your electricity went but if everybody’s went there would be no TV , no computing and quickly nothing to cook in the microwave

Where would you get the gaz when it ran out?

2 Likes

Intermarche , or from the hot air from the men on this site.

Our freezer going down would be the big tragedy here.

Sexist😀
If you read the beginning of the thread it is about there being no electricity anywhere. Intermarche would be closed

but just think of the amazing meals you could have (over the wood fire)… with all the goodies from the freezer :laughing::zipper_mouth_face::roll_eyes::relaxed:

I’m available as a reliable hot air source, 40 euro per hour + travelling expenses, I supply ear-plugs for sensitive customers but have a range of entertaining scripts for those who want to stay close to the heat-stream. Some of my topics are extra-toasty!

References supplied. But don’t delay, my appointment book is filling up quickly for the winter freeze! :snowflake::grinning:

1 Like

I don’t have that big an appetite. 98% would be thrown away when the stink got too bad to bear.

Back to basics Richard. You do as they did in the Middle Ages and dig as far down as you can to create an underground larder where you ‘stock’ all the meat that you have cooked over your fire pit.
OR, you cook all the meat and invite all your starving neighbours to participate in the hopes that they will recipricate :wink:

1 Like

If electricity failed nation-wide, my first concern would be for our security. There would very limited non-electronic communication with Government, but presumably a local population would necessarily support and be supported by existing local government officers and structures, who would quickly establish a local militia to keep order, with some support (arms, logistics and personnel) from the army high command.

I imagine there are contingency plans in place to deal with civil insurrection or riot. To oversee rationing and the movement of people, animals etc.

After a week or so of no power and shops closed or emptied, any cosy barbecues of spare ribs or sausages would attract several score famished strangers with no semblance of dinner party etiquette left, and cleavers in their belts.

Opinion from a military veteran on SFN would be a help. I would like to know what to expect, even if it’s disaster.