If we Had None?

If there was suddenly, NO 'LECCY, :open_mouth:what would be the biggest catastrophe, what would you miss the most? :thinking:

ā€œLightā€ thus being able to see in the dark. We can cook with the gas hob, heat with the wood-burnerā€¦ I would hate not being able to light up the darkness :roll_eyes:

That would be a bit down my list Stella, maybe 'cos I remember using oil lamps.

SF, of course :slight_smile:

More seriously: everything stops, in the UK we have gas but need electricity to drive the boiler electronics, thermostat etc. We could cook on the hob (but even that has an electric igniter), thatā€™s about it.

In France pretty much everything stops - the only alternative source being the fireplace which would, at least, keep the lounge warm - but otherwise all cooking, lighting and heating is provided by electricity.

We need electricity to run our gas boiler so I would miss a shower the most.

If I had another way to heat water then I would probably most miss my computer as I wouldnā€™t be able to converse with you lot :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Both in UK and then in France, we deliberately bought a gas hob that does not need electricity to light the burnersā€¦ :wink:

I have an Aladin oil lamp somewhere in the loftā€¦ and a spare mantle in the drawerā€¦ but I would have to carry it wherever I wentā€¦ and such is not always a good idea (I have naff carrying skills) :wink:

1 Like

Ah, we cook a lot on the flatop woodburner Paul, and that provides all our heating too :wink:

Yep being niffy would be bad, but my Gran only had ā€˜one cold tapā€™ in the house, She smelled Lovely :heart:

2 Likes

Used to often use oil lights in my place in Portugal, just for the pleasure of the ā€˜soft lightā€™ :slightly_smiling_face:

We did too back in the UKā€¦ loved itā€¦thatā€™s why they came with usā€¦ but not so good with them any moreā€¦ prefer something I can drop which wonā€™t break :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The hob doesnā€™t need  the built-in igniter, a match will do but it illustrates how even a gas hob has functionality that depends on electricity.

Actually, we have a camping stove in reserve en France so we could use that.

However, I wouldnā€™t want to be without power for extended periods of time.

1 Like

The Fosse Septiquie would be a prob too, ours needs a pump, no handy hill :open_mouth:

There would be total failure of electronic communication: no mobile phones, no Internet, no radio or TV, no banking facilities, and quite possibly a failure of the health care systems.

Domestically the most problematic would be no fridge. Food would spoil quickly, and we would have to consume what could not easily be preserved. There would also be no fuel for private vehicles, and little for deliveries or to make trade possible.

ƀ lack of light would be the least of anyoneā€™s worries IMO.

1 Like

Actually Paulā€¦without electricity, most gas hobs have a safety feature that will not allow the gas to flow.

We deliberately bought the hob which did NOT have that safety featureā€¦knowing we could then use it during power cutsā€¦

1 Like

The ability to store food and fuel to be able to go and buy it.
I am asthmatic and have had to turn off our wood burner.
Since then I have had no chest infections in the winter.

Hi Peter

Iā€™m talking about a situation I have experiencedā€¦and the panic of not being able to see my hand before my faceā€¦ total blacknessā€¦

If you have never experienced such fear and the feeling of total helplessness and despair ā€¦ then, of course, you cannot appreciate why that was my automatic response to the question putā€¦

Nuff saidā€¦

3 Likes

The supply, logistical system ā€˜down the panā€™, No Nothinā€™, no grub, no fuel, no communication, very soon no society either, itā€™s so frighteningly, totally, interdependent. Lights, ummmm ?

Sorry, Stella. I wouldnā€™t doubt at all your own dread of the dark. I was speaking more generally, and out of turn in regard to your own feelings, so please will you accept my apology for a silly mistake? :cry:

Of course you are forgiven Peterā€¦ as I saidā€¦ my response was automatic.

I am made of stern stuffā€¦I can handle anythingā€¦ well, almost anything, that life or anyone cares to throw at meā€¦ but put me in a black hole and I become a gibbering wreckā€¦ :upside_down_face:

I have a supply of torches (various sizes) and will rarely go anywhere at night without one in my pocket or bagā€¦ just in case.

2 Likes