If you saw a nanny in this BBC interview, what does that say about you? | Vera

With my first family in London we had nannies over the years but none were Asian, plenty were British but we had super girls from Aus and NZ. The worst were the Brits. Now I am a great deal older and remarried to a lovely Asian woman who happens to be 39 years my junior. There were a few comments at first, but those died down and infact were made mainly by British people. A few ignorant twits made salacious remarks abot Thai girls (but she is from the Philippines). We have been married almost nine years now. She’s working full time, and I’m the retired home husband who does the school runs with our almost 8 years old daughter, and doing lots of the cooking. In fact I am enjoying bringing her up and not running off to my office every day. Happily lots of the preconceptions of life seem to have been demolished.

1 Like

When I was a tiny child (gingery, curly and freckly) I used to go to the shops/ beach/wherever in Cap d’Ail or Nice with an older Vietnamese lady usually pulling me along by the hand and admonishing me. My great-grandmother, actually.

1 Like

I didn’t see a nanny in the video simply because I lived in South Korea for three years where Westerner-Korean marriages are becoming increasingly common (after have been frowned by Korean families onto until very recently), common almost to the point of becoming a cliché.
It’s invariably a Western man with a Korean women however; I can only think of a single exception (and that particular marriage has now ended in divorce).
Most Western men who live in South Korea long-term are married to Korean women.