IKEA Solar Panels / Panneaux Solaires

I’m going to shadow you … all the way to your rooftop… :slightly_smiling_face:

it will be fascinating to see how this pans out.

I have great respect for the Swedes.

2 Likes

Thanks stella

1 Like

Look forward to hearing updates on this!

We gave up on the whole thing with EDF etc, just sounded too dodgy, and have decided to run part of our electrics (lights / fans / chargers) from panels that we have batteries hooked up to. Will mean we have light and emergency back up for our many power cuts each year! We have also bought some water heating solar panels which will be hooked up to water heaters.

We know this can be excellent, since we had it in UK around 40 years ago…

are you doing this yourselves or via a company…???

We installed solar hot water panels on our south facing roof when we did our renovations in 2009 and a ground source heat pump as well.

sounds a great combination, Jane. :slight_smile:

We are doing it ourselves. We bought the panels from someone who was changing for a bigger system or something, they were only a few years old and had been fitted by a company (who were also doing the upgrade). The size of our house and the enormity of the renovations would never allow anyone with normal means to pay artisans / companies to do everything :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and luckily the dh is very, very good with renovations! this is our 3rd French home, all have been major renovations!

2 Likes

The turnips aren’t too bad either :smile:

Feeling a bit silly this morning.

4 Likes

Buying from 3rd paties is an expensive way of installing solar panels unless you can afford to pay a professional to install them for you.

Subsidies only apply to professional installations.

If you are even moderately DIY proficient it is far cheaper to source/install the components yourself. You will need a qualified expert to certify your installation but that is no big deal.

There is no escaping the fact that you need to be able to converse with the experts in French though, unless you are very lucky and have a fluent english expert to help you. But that shouldn’t be a problem given that French is the lingua franca for people living in France.

1 Like

I had experience with solar panels in Germany and it was good, because it really cuts down on electric charges by 30% and éven with some sun those things work!
But do not go for the EDF offer of 5 panels for € 8000. there is just about no maintenance on those things, other than cleaning, but you can do that yourself.

You were RIGHT, they are scams, because you do not need a lot of maintenance on them. There is one thing you need to have, in case of storm, a cut-off switch!

1 Like

My latest update. After filling in the request for a quote IKEA Belgium (well their subcontractor) got back to saying the offer was Belgium specific. This was followed up with a call to tell me that IKEA would offer the the service in France from next year. Everything I’ve read indicated a Q4 2020 kick off in the south of France…

" L’offre de panneau solaire Ikea a pris effet le 22 septembre. Néanmoins, seuls 32 départements , répartis dans les régions PACA, Occitanie, Nouvelle-Aquitaine et Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes peuvent bénéficier de la prestation d’Ikea et de Voltalia pour le moment."

… but I can’t find any info on the IKEA France website. The guy that announced this back in July was the IKEA France directer of sustainable something or other. So, I’ve hunted him down on LinkedIn and sent him a message. If I get anything back I’ll let you know.

The seem to have an offer of 3kWc with 9 panels for 9 grand which should do me, though for a further 6 grand one gets 19 panels and over 6kWc. I’m not sure I have enough roof pointing in the right direction for 19 panels and anyway, I guess the payback period is the key factor.

Thinking about it one of my mates works for Ikea - he’s now director of something - albeit in Italy - but I will ask him.

1 Like

Does anybody know if Ikea Bordeaux is open?

They are "temporarily " closed at the moment (from end of January) at the request of the préfecture

No, they are closed for people unless it is for pick up of orders.
You can check availability online and order.

@Mark @Bettina, thank you.
I shall be ordering online, but I just wanted to see the quality of the material before I order.

S’posed to go on the roof, John :rofl:

Feeling a bit silly this afternoon

Solar panels can be installed on the ground too.
Solar farms do not work on skyhooks.

I enjoy being silly quite a bit now Christopher. One of the perqs of retirement :face_with_hand_over_mouth: