IKEA Solar Panels / Panneaux Solaires

Looks like Ikea are now offering the service here now.

I used the above link to get an automated quote. Cost comes in at about 10K with a payback of 7 years. I’ve also an appointment with EDF on the 10th to discuss their offering too. My research indicated panel efficiency id going to take a leap in the next few years, possibly through the use of perovskite. So maybe the thing to do is wait.

Are you sure you can wait that long at your age :joy:
I hate the profiteers on green tech. £150 per panel and inverter £2000 then a bright spark to fit it.

Yes, it’s terrible having to factor longevity into payback periods. One doesn’t want to tempt fate. It’d be terrible to have to hang on just to justify an unwise investment.

1 Like

Yeah. Great, isn’t it. Pity about all the silliness of my earlier times.

Ref: Silliness = :rofl:

1 Like

With around £5000 for the system that Ikea are charging €10,000 for you could have it now and not have to worry. The efficiency of a perovskite panel 29% in the lab, vs 18-20% for currently available percium panels.
Nice graph!

Depends where you’re on the slope, geographically and chronologically. I was wondering where to draw a line after which one shouldn’t invest in the current generation of solar panels. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

When do you think they will be commercially available John?

We invested in our pompe a chaleur and solar water heating because it was the right thing thing to do.

2 Likes

Our green credentials are in order. The house has been heated by reversible clim so air/air heat pumps since 2005. We had to replace about half of it a couple of years go as one of the outdoor units blew one of it’s compressors. Repair wasn’t a sure fire option and despite the replacement unit also being Hitachi the new units powered the internal units at a different voltage. So, replace. The old unit which powers three bedrooms and a study is still going strong. We don’t use the wood stove at all anymore.

We only use about €2,200 worth of electricity a year for everything. So a 10k investment to save a little electricity (which is increasingly green anyway) at my age (as John kindly points out) may not be the best use of the funds.

A Ducati Multistrada could be a much more sensible option :thinking:

7 Likes

Along as your life assurance policy is in order.

Sadly that train left the station long ago :slightly_smiling_face: I guess I’m still eligible for a burial policy though.

I can assure you a life insurance policy will be of no help to John, only others.

2 Likes

I believe they are, I think they are used on the international space station and other newer satellites. That should give you an idea of the sky high prices! When will they be affordable for us mere mortals? Who knows think of all those existing factories needing to re tool
I have plans for my place but unless I apply for residence I doubt I will bother as 3 months a year isnt worth doing very much any more.

1 Like

I have a couple of pals who came down to Valencia from London by train - deluxe sleeper jobbie 'n all - rather than fly. Their green aspirations are sky-high, so this gave them a great deal of satisfaction and a massive hit on the bank - over £1000 each.

As far as they were concerned it was the right thing to do but they are fortunate enough to be able to afford it. And of course, it was a very enjoyable way to travel.

Despite the environmental sage, George Monbiot, being the cousin of one of them, they do get a bit muddled. They fly regularly - 5-6 times a year - to Shannon, to their Irish properties. Fergus lashed out on 1st Class return to Tokyo to join a Dendrological Soc jolly, looking at Japanese trees. That he therefore missed his wife’s 60th b/d caused a minor explosion in W11. The cost of the repairs was a deluxe week in Venice.

The property they live in, a recycled coffin factory overlooking the West Cross roundabout, has no T.R.V.s, no double glazing [the noise is appalling] and the 40 year old c/h thermostat sticks on when on and off when off. I offered a new programmable one f.o.c. but it was turned down.

People can get rather muddled when it comes to ‘the right thing to do’.

Being of meagre means and like John Scully, of an age, I shall do the affordable thing to do, keeping greenness in mind.

So true! Ego makes people want to show off their latest green gadget, envy, envy, envy. Who cares that the roof contains 32 layers of multifoil insulation and 200mm of rockwool that you cant see, that made by far the biggest difference to our home.

1 Like

We were doing a huge renovation, so considered it worthwhile.

1 Like

Absolutely! As our roof is fully inslated as proven with the thermal camera the next step is to use some solar.

Anyone managed to progress to installation. Whilst I love the aga it is electric and my lucky bill is consequently high….

1 Like

Just did a simulation - 13 yr ROI for 8200 € with 6 panels - our roof orientation and available surfaces aren’t brilliant, but it might be something to think about. The state grant is 700 € :rofl: :rofl:
We don’t use a lot of electricity (about 800€/yr), so savings aren’t huge.

6 x 300 watts?
1800 watts for how much?