I'm going batty

Tonight…I tried to see the eclipse… however, a colony of bats are living behind the bedroom shutters… and they were directly in the corner of my line of sight as I searched the skies/horizon…

I was torn between peering resolutely into the beyond… and getting out of their way as they prepared to zip off out for their supper…

OH used his endoscope to try and identify the variety…certainly, we have several pipistrelles and also three much larger bats… couldn’t identify them and was loath to upset them… they were quite obviously titivating themselves ready for a night out with their pals… :relaxed::relaxed:

So, on the one hand I am sorry not to have watched the eclipse Live…but I feel quite privileged to have been a “fly on the wall” so to speak… while these amazing creatures got themselves into their routine (they almost seemed to be doing exercises) .

4 Likes

Hi Stella,
It’s good to know that you take such care not to disturb the bats unduly even though it must be a bit inconvenient at times.
There is a bat or two that we love to watch doing their evening aerobatics in the courtyard here. Just wish there were a few more to help keep down the mosquito numbers.

1 Like

We rarely shut those particular shutters, so the bats are welcome… for the moment. :relaxed: I just have to remember to shut the window at night… or else our little friends will come inside to play… :roll_eyes: It’s a large “french window” and doesn’t have the flyscreen that the ordinary windows have…

Mmmm… last night’s extravaganza has left some bats playing hooky … only 4 are roosting… all snuggled-up behind the left hand shutter…