I'm looking for a scrap yard

Hello :wave:,
I am looking for a scrappy, we want some metal grilles, some copper, etc. Skip diving doesn’t seem to be a hobby in France, and that’s okay. What am I looking for on Google maps or on the ground? We’re just outside Dinan,22.

Not the same as the UK in the terms of scrapyards. The main déchetteries have removable bennes which are collected by recuperation firms for the metal,gravats,cartonnerie etc and the public don’t usually get to visit those places. As for copper etc, just wait and see how many “travellers” are waiting at big dumps for the chauffe-eaus to be jettisoned, they are stripped faster than pirahnas with a piece of meat. You may fare better going to see a local plombier/electrician who has stuff to dispose of and also on LBC. Autocaisses too but you cannot just help yourself let alone go round by yourself in many. Skips here and I speak from hiring them for years are usually for only one type of rubbish when they are hired, not mixed and used to cost us around €350 for a 10m3 taking gravats away plus written permission from the mairie and lighting on the roadway. Another place might be industrial estates - ZAC where firms have stuff to dispose of, again you need to ask but they might sell you something cheap

1 Like

I agree about the way metal gets recycled here. We’ve had a few firms come round knocking on doors asking for scrap metal. I’m fairly sure they don’t provide the kind of yards that resell it. However, our local depot-ventes often have old metal objects such as grates or gates or whatever and it might be worth having a browse round to see if any of them have the sorts of bits you are looking for?

1 Like

I know its not near you but this company sells new and used metal to the public ,so perhaps you can use their site as a guide for someone nearer to you

1 Like

Yes, I know how the déchetterie works. I have seen a couple of yards that look much like our scrappies, and I have an Irish friend here of 83, and she is well au fait !!! Gift of the gab and of course utterly charming. She has ferreted out all manner of amazing things here. Old copper abbreuvoirs, turned into ponds and a whole lot of stuff like that. Maybe I will drag her around with me, they seem to give her stuff just to get rid of this old mad woman :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

You might have better luck searching for “récupération de métaux” (metal recovery) on Google Maps.

Hi there, thank you loads! We have found the local chap and it’s the sort of place we’re familiar with from the UK… And he’s just as you say, recouperateur.

1 Like