Immigration Bill has been passed

Some useful th8ngs, especially for nurses you want to move here, but generally a hardening of rules like level of French now required, and having to be here 24 months before can seek to bring family under regroupment visa

https://www.vie-publique.fr/loi/287993-projet-de-loi-immigration-integration-asile-2023

And ToryRoo remind your sons not to commit crimes as that will automatically exclude them from seeking nationality at 16-18 despite being born here.

4 Likes

Didn’t Macron say he’d reverse it if it won a majority thanks to RN votes? And, surprisingly, Le Pen’s lot switched to backing it in the end… So I’m not sure what that means now.

PS - it’s nice to see a thread about French politics rather than Westminster :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

There is nothing stopping you … :wink::yum:

1 Like

I believe the law was passed without needing the votes of the RN.

Except my ignorance on the subject.

Looks like Macron’s government aren’t happy and are booting up to the Constitutional Court:

1 Like

But, if the RN had voted against it then it wouldn’t have passed, right?

Is it going in with immediate effect or will it take time? Really don’t want more hassle getting the boys nationality than already!

They voted for it but it’s not ‘thanks to them’ that it passed. I expect they will capitalise on it as much as they can, ghastly people.

2 Likes

I think the answer to that is No !

According to these figures it would (could?) have… But I admit my understanding of French politics is somewhat lacking so I’m happy to be corrected if this is incorrect.

Sorry Gareth, I haven’t been taking much notice !

Ha, me neither but I feel like I should pay more attention :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes and no. If the FN, I mean RN (!!), had voted against it, the law wouldn’t have passed. However, if they hadn’t voted one way or the other, the law would have passed without their votes.

Thanks. Do you know whether Le Pen was initially proposing to tell her députés to vote against or to abstain?

Another (more general) question about the Assemblée Nationale, if I may. Are députés told how to vote i.e. how whipping in UK govt happens?

C’mon ! It’s France not the UK! I imagine that in Paris whips have more private uses,

Which isn’t to say the latter might not also be popular in certain political sectors north of la Manche…

It’s very different. As I understand it the deputies, who are elected of course under a political banner, then can form a range of constitutional groups within the Assemblé. And it is within these groups that decisions are taken about voting directions.

But an interesting question so I will have nerdy fun double checking my understanding.

I don’t quite understand your first question. Are you referring to the initial proposition which didn’t pass?

I’m no expert but from what I see and hear, it doesn’t seem to be much different. The Sénat is particularly divided for this mandate and there seems to be a lot of ‘automatically’ voting against whatever the government proposes!

Apologies for not being clearer. I was under the impression that RN surprised everyone by voting for the bill. I was curious whether they were expected to vote against it or to abstain. It’s not a biggie though.

There’s a reason we call it le vice anglais :rofl:

4 Likes