Improving My French

My OH is completely fluent in French, from years of working here. So when we were just holidaying in France I used to leave most things up to him as I’m pretty rubbish at languages. But once we decide to aim to move to France I realised that wasn’t good enough so started studying for DELF/DALF.

But I still felt intimidated as had a perfect french speaker beside me. Anyway, what made the difference was making friends here (which we luckily did years before we moved). I now chatter away happily, although not perfect french I can hold quite sophisticated conversations. So get out and get to know people in your area, join things, and immerse yourself in daily life - french TV, radio and papers. Although a tutor could help, the problem with those sorts of one to one conversation classes is that they are quite stilted, so don’t actually help much as not like real conversations. Ot stick a notice on your local notice board asking if anyone would like to do English-french conversation.

The advantage of a tutor, at least to start with, is that structures will be better explained.
You don’t necessarily have to look at/hear a sentence and say, ah yes - groupe nominal, ok there’s my verbe+ complement d’objet direct+ complement d’objet indirect, oh look here’s an adjectif épithète or attribut du sujet etc etc BUT it does help to know what they are and how to put them together, so you can then use them independently to better effect.
I suppose what I mean is that the most well-intentioned native speaker won’t always have the knowledge to help you efficiently: you will learn, albeit more slowly, the way a child does: but do you really want to speak like a three-year-old?

Paul indicated that his understanding and knowledge of french is good…it’s the using it where he lacks confidence. So yes a tutor would be best, but failing that then active conversation could make a big difference. And as long as your friends aren’t 3 year olds then you should be ok. One of my best friends is a retired french professor and she doesn’t let me get away with much.

My wife (who has hardly any French) and I met a French couple at a babys’ birthday party recently, and the French wife spoke no English.

We two husband’s spoke each others languages within limits, but as two couples who had never met before we spend an hour and a half together and had a great conversation on a wide range of topics including politics, genealogy, food, horoscopes and falling in love.

Most of the conversation was between the wives, who had a lot in common and laughed about us their spouses and at our expense. Admittedly the food was au buffet and there was wine aplenty.

I’ve found that meeting up with local couples/neighbours really advances the growth of language, eliminates shyness, and dissolves perceived barriers very fast and very rewardingly.

And it costs nothing.

2 Likes

Excellent Peter… personal contact… can’t beat it IMO.

Our neighbour grabbed our hands and dragged us in to meet his wife… none of us could converse… the wine flowed, smiles, phrases were exchanged … with many giggles as if “no idea what is being said”… but there was the basic understanding that comes when folk are happy in each other’s company …

That was the very first day, when we saw and “bought-on-sight” our new home. yippee :hugs:

2 Likes

Ever since I joined SNF Stella your homely anecdotes, practical advice (never pressed on anyone), but above all your encouragement to reach out to neighbours and to strangers alike, simply and sincerely, has always touched my heart. And punctured my silly pomposity too, which is usually just a pointless defence against anxiety.

Although we have occasionally (!) misunderstood each other I have learned so much from you, and I’m almost certain 100% will feel the same, and feel as grateful as me. :kissing_closed_eyes::slightly_smiling_face:

I thoroughly enjoy the exchanges (all sorts) that we have on here, Peter… :upside_down_face::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

In my opinion nothing can replace the contact of speaking to the people around you. I read French books at the same speed as English ones, I listen to French radio and television, I speak on the 'phone, albeit with more trepidition. However, as with all walks of life, we encounter different people with their own local speech patterns, that to me is part of the tapestry of life. I too was very shy of making mistakes but then after a while I knew that I had to just go for it regardless. It’s worked, I have had some embarassing times but also some good laughs and have met some wonderful people along the way…

4 Likes

Hi Paul, this is your neighbour, Kit! Gill has the most wonderful tutor locally, we should have told you but I guess we were all busy! Please email me at kitwells@orange.fr. We look forward to seeing you both on your return.
Best wishes, Kit and Gill

Thanks so much. Will reach out to your personal email.
Paul Jacks

Thanks so much to all of you who responded to my inquiry. I received a lot of good advice and information that I will definitely use to improve my French. I very much enjoy this site. It has been remarkably useful for answering my questions.

2 Likes

A couple of other suggestions - Frantastique (https://www.frantastique.com) is hilarious and great fun. I also find reading french novels (with Google translate open on the PC so I can translate awkward words on the spot) very useful.

Bon courage!

Try Deepl - much better

But it costs…

No it doesn’t - their free version (not Deepl Pro) is excellent and way more accurate and ‘flexible’ than Google translate.

Ok,will give it a try…

I used to rely on ‘free’ deepl Simon but then it shut me out abruptly, with no explanation.

The only ‘free’ service they now offer is a month’s free trial. But to get it you have to give them your card details for a €5.99 per month subscription, and there’s no Direct Debit option, which means hassles over cancelling.

It’s not for me.

No such experience with me - here’s the link again, been using it for around 18 months, know loads of people that do - never paid a cent.

https://www.deepl.com/translator

I’m not at all clear that the “Pro” service offers anything I need above and beyond the free translator.

Besides Google translate is a lot better since they switched to an “AI” based - translator not quite as good as Deepl overall but chances are it will get better over time if people feed in corrected translations. I suspect, however, that they will never be as good as a human with domain-specific knowledge, at least until the emergence of the Holy Grail of the “General AI”.

1 Like

Tried afresh to sign up using your link, Simon. It didn’t work.

I’ve found out why. Some time back I started to take out a free trial subscription (when I was shut out for no apparent reason). I had second thoughts before I put my card details in, so technically I am ‘still in their system’, can’t get out, and can’t apply for the free system. Be warned everyone, there really isn’t a free lunch!