Improving My French

I recently acquired a house in the Charente-Maritime in Fontaine-Chalendray near Matha. I am curious how easy or difficult it would be to arrange for a French language tutor. Someone once told me I should go to the Mairie and ask. Is this something that anyone would suggest or has experience doing? I would really like to improve my spoken French, but I am hesitant to engage. I think it would be helpful if I could work with a tutor. I would appreciate any suggestions for how to engage a French tutor. Thanks.
Paul

Hello Paul

Are there any English publications in your area ?
I ask because in my area we have a good one called ‘The Bugle’ (it’s free) . There are adverts/information that link people up to French tutors and also entente cordiale classes where atendees are a mix of French and English who like to practise their language skills.
Another source is to ask at the local library, ours is a fund of information.
Good luck !

We have the Bugle too :+1:

It’s worth asking at your Mairie.

Go to the Greta in your nearest lycée pro, or your local maison des associations and see if they can help.

1 Like

Thanks for your comment. What is a (or the) Greta?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I’ve looked at it, but haven’t seen any advertisements for language help in my area. But, I will keep looking!

The Greta is a free continuing education system for adults, generally they do retraining eg if you decide you want to open a café but you are qualified to do something else you go there to get the qualification you need. Anyway, they might help.

Paul,
For this tap into google, Greta language, & the area code i.e for me it’s Greta language 89 see link, https://www.bourgogne-greta.fr/21-greta-89
& you’l find what you’re looking for?

1 Like

Again, thanks for your help and explanation. I will give this a try when I return to France in May.

Although it’s geared more towards the Limoges area there is some useful information there. Especially with whats going on and various associations …

HI Paul… do you have any French at all ??

Yes, quite a bit actually. I took a basic French course in university many years ago and have taken courses at my local Alliance Francaise for years. I actually like studying languages, but never seem to be able to develop fluency in conversation. I’m the type of person who loves grammar and vocabulary, but I am shy about speaking-- I don’t like making mistakes. My wife is very fluent and she is the type of person who has no fear or embarrassment about making mistakes. I need to emulate her! It also doesn’t help that because she is fluent, I have a tendency to let her do all of the talking, which doesn’t help me to improve. Any suggestions you might have for helping me to improve my spoken French would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for responding to my post.

:upside_down_face::thinking::laughing: you seem better prepared than most folk…

I’m not sure you need a French Tutor… more like a Relaxation Coach… the language is already in your head… you need the confidence to let it all out… mistakes and all…

In my experience, no-one cares about mistakes, making the effort is what counts and will be very much appreciated… :hugs::hugs:

Do you have a hobby?? Often someone is more inclined to chat about a subject close to their heart…(and not worry about mistakes).

OH reckons his French is lacking because he can never get a word in edgeways… :upside_down_face: but if it’s to do with cars (his forté) he relaxes and will chat away… without a care in the world…

I’m with Stella on this. As the book says, you need to “feel the fear and do it anyway”.

I always found that French people were so pleased/surprised to hear you attempting their language that they were very forgiving of mistakes. I was just like you and hated making mistakes but everyone would tell me how good my French was and how they wished they could speak English as well as I could speak French.

My advice, just get out and do it.

If Wife is fluent why not have French only days. All communication, tv & radio, films, music newspapers in French.

Hi Paul,

I’m in a similar position to you, but slightly different location (down in Tarn-et-Garonne, near Montauban). My French is pretty reasonable, but I want, over time, to improve my grammar etc to the point where I can take the DALF.

I found it much more difficult to find a French tutor here than when I lived near London. There are various options for doing things via Skype, but I wanted face-to-face lessons. After trying several different routes, in the end I found someone via Le Bon Coin. Might be worth a look if you didn’t already try there.

Good luck!
Matt

Ask at the nearest collège or lycée if they know of anyone who is FLE qualified and interested in giving lessons.
FLE is français langue étrangère ie teaching foreigners.

Thanks for the reply. Good suggestion. I need to get more comfortable.

Thanks.