Income in the sticks

Reading else where and I came across this site, (could do with a make over) http://www.gamping.com And I thought that if you had a spare flattish piece of land and were comfortable with your Mairie then here's an extra source of income.

the requirements are laid out here by the FFCC:-

Les Terrains Déclares communément appelés « terrains ruraux et à la ferme » Aucun équipement précis n’est imposé par la réglementation à ces terrains. Il est couramment admis qu’un point d’eau et un WC doivent, au minimum, être à la disposition des campeurs à une distance raisonnable. Cependant, bon nombre de ces terrains offrent aux usagers des équipements beaucoup plus complets, et parfois même très confortables.
Ces terrains peuvent fonctionner sans autorisation préfectorale. La capacité d’accueil est, en général, de 6 abris de camping ou de 20 campeurs. Leur équipement varie du très simple au confortable. Tous ces terrains, qu’ils soient gérés par des agriculteurs ou d’autres ruraux , doivent faire l’objet d’une déclaration à la mairie (d’où leur nom de terrain « déclarés »).

I agree that site could do with a major overhaul.

This year we have transformed our camping into rental of mobile homes only. The rules you quote are accurate but it should be noted that to run a basic camping of the type you are talking of you must be an agriculteur otherwise you are not a camping a la ferme.

Personally I have never been so glad as I am this year NOT to be a camping. I for one have had enough of people turning up willy nilly asking daft questions any time of day or night. Hence the shift to rentals and storage only , now I know who will turn up and when.

It's not a bad form of extra income if you are in the right category (agriculture) to be able to do it without too much overbearing regulation. It is however a much more time consuming business than people imagine, just as Chambre d'hotes only need to provide breakfast and smile ( said tongue in cheek)