Indian trade deal with UK

Thoroughly enjoying the DT coverage of the negotiations and especially the readers’ comments. Having succeeded in sending all those ghastly Europeans packing, the prevailing view seems to be one of complete outrage that India wants to send its, gasp, brown people to the UK on work visas in return for a trade deal. Johnson and Mogg have been wittering on about ‘global Britain’ for years and suddenly DT readers don’t like it. Fabulous…

4 Likes

Was there ever a time when Indian nationals couldn’t work in the U.K. with the correct visa?

As a Brit, getting a business visa for India was a simple matter of showing up at their visa centra in London with your passport, a form, an odd sized photograph and £180.

You’re missing the point. India is asking for enhanced access to the UK labour market in return for a free trade deal. And DT readers hate it! Viva global Britain! :joy:

2 Likes

This is the groundbreaking deal that Badenoch has been churning on about for the last week or so,hailing Brexit as a massive success,it,s painful to listen to but i agree,it is quite entertaining.

That was known way back. It is, as you say, a total hoot :face_with_hand_over_mouth: But that’s what you get when you have ambitious liars like Truss and Badenoch as (don’t make me larff) international trade secretaries.

As bad as Liz Truss and her Australian deal.

Don’t forget the Pork Markets…

2 Likes

She’s also been quoted in the UK media today saying the EU had given up on securing a trade deal with India… Despite the EU commissioner tweeting something today about how the talks are progressing.

This tweet sums it up so well:

https://twitter.com/StevePeers/status/1694614881318707597?t=r7w0qjuEa9YthXyayH7eoQ&s=19

1 Like

In Bristol we’ve also noticed quite a few new African arrivals. Africans now run our local recycling centre and we’ve been helping out a young couple from Zimbabwe with some furniture. They arrived with nothing and are working as carers. I can only imagine what this must be doing to the gammons!

1 Like