Injured Wild Birds

It’s basically illegal for the general public to keep wild birds (rapaces) … if you find an injured bird, here are some links to those who can help…

✅SOS FAUNE SAUVAGE Limousin à Verneuil Sur Vienne joignable au 07 78 07 11 23

✅L’ESSOR à Tonneins en Lot et Garonne joignable au 06 18 53 72 55.

✅Le centre de soins de la LPO Aquitaine à Audenge, joignable au 06 28 01 39 48.

according to Sud Ouest 2 Brits are possibly in trouble… can’t offer the whole article so will wait for more news and update as and when

And wild animals of any kind in some departements. I remember in my early years of dog transport, which was mainly for Phoenix, I was occasionally asked to transport fox cubs, marcassins (wild boar young), a crow with a broken wing and even on one occasion, a full grown sow (not wild of course, but not very happy either :rofl:)

All these were favours for a receptionist at a vet cabinet in return for discounted fees, who rescued them and kept them in her garden until they could be relocated, normally to sancturies in other departements.

It was only in casual conversation with my vet about this when he said nothing but simply held out his 2 hands, wrists together as if handcuffed, that I realised the risk I was running. After that I always obtained authorisations from both the cabinet and sancturies concerned.

Never had a real problem but one hilarious incident was when I delivered 2 marcassins, each in its own cat carrier, to Normandy. The head man there decided the best way to get them out was to turn the carrier on end so the door was at the top, then plunge both hands in. There was a scream of pain as one of them bit his hand.

He recovered enough to give me a free tour of the site which was very interesting. Lots of orphaned foxes, but the highlight was in a long enclosure with buzzards in it. We walked in and closed the door behind us, a buzzard at the far end eyed us keenly and then took off and flew directly at my face, turning away only at the very last instant to perch and regard me with suspicion again. A startling but wonderful experience. :joy:

A little out of the way but there’s a bird refuge in Dolus-d’Oléron, one of the islands close to La Rochelle, Charente Maritime.

While metal-detecting there I came across a stranded guillemot, a bit worse for wear - motored around looking for a vet, found one, and was directed to the refuge.

Was surprised to find a dozen or more guillemots being nurtured for release. Mine was undernourished and joined the others, thankfully!

They do a good job.

2 Likes

there are various bird sanctuaries across France… marvellous places.

Anyone finding an injured bird should (in the first instance) contact one of the official societies or even the Mairie who will tell them (politely) who to phone…

The links/telephone numbers in the opening thread are those suggested/offered by the Gendarmerie and the Prefecture for Nouvelle Aquitaine.

(there will be similar contacts in other areas of France…)

EDIT: with Bird Flu… itis not advised to transport an injured bird without authorisation…
so, phone first your local Experts and follow their instructions…