Insects & Ultra Sound Repellents

Hi,

Thanks everyone.

On Amazon.fr i found one called "Home Sentinel 5 in 1" that I've now bought. There is a good review in English there from someone who had tried everything for ants & this worked! His adverse comment was that they only last 6 months to a year.

It'll be here on Wednesday so we will see if it works on the little red flying thingies that keep dropping onto my wife! I will let you know, of course.

Roger

Well, I have tried all that, but "my" ant studiously go around any of these things...:-(

Roger, re mice and rats - you can't beat a cat or Jack Russell. I think all rodents move out when they hear the distinctive yap of the terrier...

Yes Claudia. It has for us. The description doesn't say but it has a two switch setting one for insects and one for rodents. You choose which setting you want. We have had no problems since. We tried ant traps every year and it was only a temp fix but haven't used then since having these. Some people say they work some say they don't. All I can say is they worked for us and a friend of ours. We place ours in our cave down under the house. I suppose it depends on the brand as well. Who knows?

The plug in repellents work (or rather don’t work)by emitting ultrasound but there is a list of provisos, which summarised means they need to be in an empty room, preferrable in the middle of it, because furniture, curtains, etc block or absorb the u/s.

For ants, you can get poison dispensers which are disk shaped (about 3" diam) by Ferliligène and others, available in brico or garden centres. These have food inside ‘irrisistible’ to ants and they go inside, grab a mouthfull and take it home to share with family and friends.

If you put them where ants are active (or in corners or side of rooms) they find them fairly quickly, pass the message on so all their chums pay a visit. Within 24 hours the colony will be wiped out. They are better than sprays because you can put them on a kitchen surface, or carpet… or if there are small children around, they are safer as the poison is inside and small fingers cannot get at it.

Rats/mice… poison blocks work, but some will die in the house. Alternatively manual traps… they like chocolate.

Bonne chance.

This works on ants?

We had infestations of ants every year we lived here until the last two when we bought these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Procter-Pest-Stop-Repeller-Larger-House/dp/B005YD2H9U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458555150&sr=8-2&keywords=pest+stop and we haven't had any since. We also one in our gite to deter the nesting loire and haven't seen or heard it since either. So in my experience they work.

I have been told that the Spanish version of mouse and rat plug in repellents are the better ones, with the others being pretty useless. However, I haven’t got my hands on any yet. The U.K. Ones I have tried and they are not effective at all.

We also get invasions of ants in both our kitchen and lounge. We also had a a ha snake (grass snake?) come under the kitchen cupboards, perhaps eating them for breakfast. We just use ant powder and that seems to sort the problem out. They tend to come in following big rain showers.

check out this little fella - I found him hiding in the wall...I thought it was a decoration of leaves until I turned it over....urgh

We tried the electric plug in things in both Cyprus and France to keep spiders, scorpions and snakes away though to be honest that lasted about a year and then we needed the plug sockets for something else and weren't convinced they worked anyway. Rats - both houses we've bought in France had lots of rat killer on show during the sale purchase...a nice sign we thought. My favourite was the dead rat in the middle of the floor of the hallway after we bought our latest house and I went to show my family around. I think since our renovation all the noise we've made has scared them off.