Installation of Log Burners

Thanks Vero,

I now understand why your woodburner is such a necessity; did you move there because the weather is more like Scotland?:smiley:

Although I’m a scouser, I feel half scottish, I spent a large part of my career working there, mainly in Edinburgh. I lived there for about 10 years, in Marchmont and Meadowbank.

I still have some good friends there, in Musselburgh, Stirling and Glasgow.

I’m afraid I feel a bit of a fraud on SFN, I’m not a resident.

I still have a footprint in the UK as well, a small house in Port Sunlight, near to Liverpool.

1 Like

Oops I think you’ve got me mixed up with someone else, I haven’t got a woodburner, I have very low tech inefficient open fires which I love!
Moving to 24 was so my children would avoid the bling in 83990, I don’t think it is a particularly wholesome place to grow up nowadays.

I don’t mind Dax, ok it’s not paradise but it’s about a million times better than Mont de Marsan which is a dump imo. Mind you, the indian resto in the town centre is very good…

1 Like

Hi Vero,

Sorry for my assumption, but you were looking at a thread about woodburners!

Or did you have your moderator hat on?

That but also periodically I think ooh a woodburner, wouldn’t that be nice, (generally when it is freezing in the kitchen because there’s an icy blast coming down the chimney while I’m having a cup of tea before I go off to work).

2 Likes

I am in Franche Comte but some distance from you, in the Jura near Champagnole. I am a semi-retired architect, and have in the past installed wood-burning fires and stoves myself, in the UK. The regulations and insurance consequences have now changed in the UK so that recently I have paid professionals to do this, so that they can provide HETAS Certificates of Compliance (Building Regulation Compliance Certificates). I think there are two good reasons for that: if/when I sell I can demonstrate full building regulation compliance when a solicitor conducts a search, which might otherwise jeopardise the sale; if there is a fire or even carbon monoxide issues with tenants or guests, I then have proof against 3rd Party claims and can be reasonably sure that insurers will pay out.

Some years ago we bought a 12 KW Godin Stove for our house here. We went to the local Godin agents and obtained a Devis (detailed quotation). The Stove itself cost about 25% of the final bill for flue and installation. Our electrician (also the local volunteer fire chief) was annoyed because we did not ask him, or use his services. (Many electricians will be just as happy plumbing or installing stoves in our experience since!). He came in to do some work, and realised the people employed by the agents did not observe the regs. Rather than telling us he took an axe to the ceiling, causing a fair amount of damage, to clear a sufficient distance between the stainless steel flue and the nearby floor timbers. He then left us an unapologetic note telling us what he had done in the interests of preserving our lives! I then had to spend more time and money putting right the damage while observing the French Regs. We are still very pleased with the Godin, and it is still working well, almost 18 years later, even when its -20 deg c outside.

I would now ensure that I checked the qualifications of the artisan doing the installation and not just the sales agency selling the Stove! There are a wide range of skills and knowledge in French artisans in my experience, so I would also ask neighbours for recommendations, and ask for recent commendations from clients. There are helpful sites - eg https://www.faire.fr/trouvez-un-professionnel “Je recherche un professionnel RGE” but I would still undertake those checks as well. RGE qualification appears to be the closest equivalent to the UK HETAS scheme. There is a qualification that I would expect a wood-burner installer to have now in France, “QualiBois” - https://www.qualit-enr.org/particuliers/informer-qualif/decouvrez-qualibois. Although I would still check for real customer recommendations, and even visit them to find out if there are any issues, I think at least this scheme involves annual audits and satisfied customers, as well as some evidence of skills in the individual staff.

In more detail.

• There are regulations in France about installing wood-burning stoves. They include distance away from timber beams and other potentially combustible materials etc, air supply to the stove, and the stove manufacture itself (kitemark Flamme verte ) . (The kitemark demonstrates the minimum efficiency of the stove, some cheaper ones may not comply!).
  • If it’s an existing chimney with a new wood-burning stove- the chimney must have a liner to comply. The liner or double walled flue if new, must comply with French regulations (some british supplied ones are fine in the UK but not in France). There are recommendations, for best draw and operation, that the size of flue is 25% larger than the collar on the stove, eg if a 150mm collar, then a 200mm flue. British standards generally are aligned with French Standards (via the International Standards Organisation [ISO], so reading the UK standards gives a good start. E.g. https://www.hetas.co.uk/wp-content/mediauploads/BFCMA-General-Guidance-10-12-12.pdf However bear in mind that international standards are subject to similar interpretation in France as in the UK. So do check with a professional by getting one or more Devis (detailed written quotations – see https://www.service-public.fr/professionnels-entreprises/vosdroits/F31144 for the Devis requirements … right-click the page in Google Chrome to translate to English… 3rd option from the bottom of the pop up menu.)
  • You require a dedicated air supply pipe or duct from exterior to alongside the stove. The size of the supply depends on the size of the stove.
  • You can potentially save some VAT (almost 15%) by using a qualified firm (RGE) to supply and install.
  • You will need a qualified professional chimney sweep to regularly sweep and to certify the operation of the installation. The frequency appears to vary in different regions and communes, but the maximum period appears to be 3 years, unless your insurers or the commune require otherwise.
  • If you do not do this, you may well find that your insurers will not cover you in the event of a claim.
  • There are some very helpful discussions on Survive France at Air vent for wood burning stove? and at Buying a woodburning stove... a cautionary tale
2 Likes

Thank you so much for the detailed reply.

I totally agree Les, but if the wood burner is installed in a fireplace, it is vital that the chimney breast is capped off at the bottom of the chimney breast above the stove with a register plate that encloses in the entire chimney. Then if at all possible and affordable that the entire chimney is then back filled with vermiculite to insulate it around the exhaust chimney from the stove. I had this done in the UK and my little 5kw duel fuel stove in the UK heats the entire house as no heat escapes up the chimney. My neighbour had exactly the same fire fitted in his house after seeing mine but didn’t go to the expense of the register plate and vermiculite and all his heat goes straight up the chimney and his fire is rarely effective.

So my advice is don’t go to the expense of a wood burner unless you are going to do it properly and ensure you get the maximum heat output from it. Through exposing the flue as you suggested or blocking in and insulating the chimney if it’s in a fire place.

3 Likes

Thanks Brian,

I was fortunate in that I was able to specify provision for the stove into a new-build house, so I didn’t have to work within an existing fireplace.

I am puzzled how, by putting insulation between the chimney flue and the remainder if the building, you can be warming the remainder of the building? I would have thought it would have the opposite effect, and increase the temperature of the exhaust gases going
outside - or am I being obtuse?

I was persuaded to use a flue wrap for the stainless liner we put into our chimney because it was argued that it would keep the gases hotter all the way up the flue, and so improve the draw. I suspect that if you use a fireplace or woodburner every day in an old masonry chimney then after the first couple of days the chimney retains enough warmth to not need the wrap, and you would gain perhaps a bit more heat from the chimney all the way up. If however there is part of the chimney rising through an uninsulated attic, it might be sensible to insulate the liner from that point up anyway.

I am trying to understand how insulating the flue can improve the woodburner efficiency. I thought the efficiency was down to the design of the appliance in how completely it turns fuel to heat. The better it does this the lower the emmisions too. I can see how it would improve updraught - the flue would heat up more quickly. If the flue is insulated then surely the hot exhaust gases would have less opportunity to help warm the house .

1 Like

Makes complete sense to me. Our wood burner is in a fireplace with a baffle plate to restrict heat loss up the chimney although some heat obviously goes up the flue too. The flue passes through the bedroom above and heats it markedly: there is a fireplace in the bedroom directly above the one below, and its chimney breast warms up when the poêle in the room below is alight.

I don’t think the flue that was fitted when the wood-burner was installed extends as far as the pot on the roof either. It wasn’t long enough, by my observation. The installation was done by a registered fitter.

Additionally, it seems the chimney stack is shared by our neighbour whose house abuts ours, both are well over 100 years.
old. His fireplace is back-to-back with ours separated by a shared thick granite wall.

He always knows when our fire is lit as a whiff of woodsmoke enters his sitting room, and he never lights a fire in his. The chimneys seem to splice in the roof spaces. If vermiculite was poured down the chimney from the top it would fill his house and drown him in it.

Hi John, old thread but can I ask if you could point me to some info about this dedicated air supply pipe from outside? I’m planning on installing log burner but am not sure how this pipe should be incorporated.

Thanks for the detailed info. I am nearby in Ain and finding it really hard to find a good installer.

We have had installed a Burley Brampton stove (bought in France) which is absolutely fantastic (see YouTube or their website).

We also went for the option of having the incoming air pipe so that the fire has an air supply directly into the stove - this eliminates the stove sucking in air from the room which then eliminates further cold air being sucked into the room from outside.

These are incredibly efficient and burn very little wood compared to our relatively new Godin we had before.

1 Like

I’ve always used the local Brisach dealer wherever we’ve been and I’ve no complaints up to now.

Hi
I don’t have any details for local French suppliers. I am aware that M Blondeau in Nozeroy is a nit picking perfectionist, and the ex voluntary fire chief. You could get a Devis from him for guidance. (We used him for early work on our house, not the stove, and have since used other artisans who we think were less dogmatic.)

We installed a Godin 12kw Cheminee ‘freestanding’ stove with glazed door and a double insulated stainless flue, about 2002, and used a local supplier to install. In practice our old house here in the Jura has proved drafty enough not to need a dedicated fresh air supply.

In traditional open inglenook fireplaces in the UK I and others used to design a pit either under the fire or just in front, then place a thick stone paving slab on a supportive rim over the pit. That rim had regular slots for air passage all round the open fire or just along the front of the hearth. Visually you would see a thin open slot about the size of a normal joint, but given the overall length it adds up to an effective opening, an air opening size that could be calculated. (UK regs at the time required conversion work not to make the situation worse than it was before the change was made, not to upgrade to meet as new building regs as is the case now.)
The slab could be levered up to clear out any ash deposits although that might be once a decade or less. Then we would run 100mm drain pipe (clay, or if plastic then cased in concrete) to a louvred air inlet (insect proofed) in the nearest external wall, above damp proof course level (150mm min above external ground level). This was common practice at the time to avoid smoky rooms as people put in central heating and draught sealed, but also wanted the joys of an open wood fire in their old inglenook.
Best wishes John

ps
I can endorse the value and efficiency of Burley Stoves too. We installed a 4Kw Burley Debdale about 4 years ago in our house in the UK. (4KW is the maximum size in the UK regs that does not require an external fresh air supply). If for installation in France I would go a size or two larger with a dedicated fresh air supply, since its a bit of a pain sourcing wood for the smaller stove, and it requires feeding regularly because of its smaller size (we insulated the flue pipe up inside the original 1900 chimney). Other than that, we remain very pleased with it, and think its design and appearance is simple and understated, unlike some over flamboyant designs on the market!

Hi all, we just had a lovely la nordica 8.3 kw installed. Finally found a local independent. Sterling work, brought his kids with him to meet the cats without hair and the dogs sized like horses, came on a friday night after working on a big building site job all week and did not leave until he was happy. Very good price and really clean and competent installation. Can only reccomend. We’re in 22 Dinan area.

2 Likes

Hi,
Very late into this post. I have been to three of these shops that sell woodburners. All three took one look at my chimney and gave the Gallic Shrug. My house is nearly five hundred years old and the chimney is one metre seventy wide, reducing to one metre fifty. But it is so slim. Probably not much more than 15cms. I had not realised that the smaller flue bore the better for a wood burner. Quite the contrary to the extractor in the kitchen where the bigger the better. I had thought of doing the installation myself using an uninsulated inox flue liner and then back filling with vermiculite. I am not sure there is enough vermiculite in France to back fill that huge volume. Then I read about regulations in France for the installation of wood burners and the effect on one’s insurance if your house catches fire. Also, upon a sale, it is essential that the installer is actually qualified.
So I then tried the strangely named company, Aäsgard. Incredibly expensive but very professional. They are prepared to undertake the work but I wondered if any of your readers have experience of them, please?

My son had a very limited area in which to put a freestanding stove in, went to Aasgard and like you, found them extremely expensive and not that interested in a small project. He went to Jotul after and they were very good, came to the house and did a technical visit with a devis a few days later which was a lot cheaper than the other one and then the stove they chose was installed and the salesman came out and gave them a lesson in how to use it correctly and what to burn etc. They are extremely happy and very pleased and this is their third winter using the stove nearly every day the tramontine blows. They use compacted wood logs bought from a supplier and get an invoice but unfortunately could not qualify for the government help as their income is over the plafond. Their stove also goes straight up and through the house roof with a tube going out underneath the house to take any other fumes as they have a half metre space underneath.