Insulating an old wooden chalet from the exterior

My wife and I have just bought a chalet built in 1971 in a Village called Allos 04260, it is in sound condition but has an energy rating of F.
It is on 3 levels, ground level stone walls top two wooden.
We are now trying to get an idea of the best way to insulate I would guess from the exterior and trying to understand what the price per meter would be. I am cable of doing most of the work myself but would need guidance and physical help as easier with two or three people for sure. Are there some good links to watch and does anybody recommend a place in the south to buy materials? Thank you James

1 Like

What do you think @james ?

1 Like

Exterior insulation is a good option but will be more expensive than internal as you will have to create a new facade.

Find you local pro builders merchant and see if they will open an account for you, if you find the right sales rep you could secure around 30% reduction on list prices, free delivery in some cases, you need to build a relationship with them.

Good luck

Isn’t the government doing a grant/deal with companies just now to insulate older homes, I have seen quite a few cottages getting new thermal exterior insulation around 72 at the moment.
I will have a look when I get back as I’m out and about at the moment but it was something like The MaPrimeRénov grant as I looked at one of the videos at the time.

We have just had exterior insulation which was subject to a fairly generous Ma Prime Renov grant.

If you wouldn’t mind sharing details I’d be very interested e.g. cost/m2 and what the grant covered and what level of insulation you received - thanks.

I will look out the paperwork and post later.

1 Like

Thanks - appreciated :blush:

We tried to get a discount for 250 sq metres of parquet de chene. No go, we were not artisans.
No idea of bulk discount in France.
I went direct to th e supplier in France, who turned out to be English, a great deal and free transport across France because of the size of our order.

Hi, we had 88 ² metres of insulation that is 12cm thick. It had to be bonded onto the wall with protection struts on the corners etc, and then covered in several layers of a netting and then a coloured crepie.
There had to be an application put into to the mairie (even though we were replacing existing insulation that had been damaged in a hail storm). This was taken care of by the company that did the work.
It’s a little difficult to unpick the MaPrimeRenov refund as our facture shows another sum under Prime CE.
But overall I think the total cost was reduced by around 20%.

1 Like

Thanks alot for sharing. So the actual grant contribution wasn’t so much then, when compared to other stories I see on SF.

No not a huge amount of our total bill, but need to factor in the other work they had to do here (removal of damaged insulation, scaffolding, team of 4 workers etc).
You might be able to go on the MaPrimeRenov site and see if you can get an estimate for what you might be eligible for.

1 Like

What was the cost, before the price Wendy? And has it made a big difference?

The first things they ask is for your numéro fiscal de référence, size of the house and is it insulated, so looking for business as with my case for a PAC, I wasn’t in the market for insulation.
The main thing is your numéro fiscal de référence, if it’s low you may comply for the full grant from Prime Renov’, if not, get quotes from a local business they’ll probably be much cheaper.

1 Like

Hello , as far as i can see the cost of each insulating panel was 6.59 per unit.
But with all the scaffolding, finishing off with netting and then render it cost just under 17,000 eu
TAV is only 5.5% on the insulation materials

It didn’t seem difficult but I wouldn’t consider it a DIY job

Because we already had (old) insulation and we’re replacing what was damaged in the big storm it’s difficult to say what difference it may have made. Hope this helps

1 Like