Insurance for putting horses in field

Hi
I am wondering if someone can advise me.
I am letting three friends put their shetland ponies in my field. There are three ponies and each one has an owner. The owners are going to take charge of the electric fencing and its upkeep. I am letting them use the field free. AXA has told me I must pay 7 euros a month to insure against accidents involving a third party - because I own the field. Two of the owners I know have their ponies insured. Do I need the third person to insure his or will my insurance be enough to cover any accident involving one of the ponies. It seems crazy that there will be three of us insuring for the same thing! Is there any more advice someone could give me to protect myself against a claim in the light of an injured third party? The ponies are only here for part of the year. Does any one know an insurance company that will insure for short periods? Axa do it on a yearly basis. Thanks!!

I would think @fabien is your man for this. I don’t have a clue sorry.

1 Like

Lovely.

Yes I cant wait!!

Thankyou for the reply. Can you tell me how to contact fabien? I see half the email - @fabien but several come up when I tap this in?

Top left of the page is an insurance tab for Fabien, it gives you all his services and contact details

2 Likes

and as @fabien has been tagged, he will be notified about the topic and usually provides a response once he gets to his desk.

2 Likes

Hi Fiona,

I’ll answer each topic individually. The first one is the possibility of temporary insurance. Although technically doable, the premium is way too low for it to be profitable so no one will do this and all policies or options will be on a yearly basis.

In regard to the need for insurance for each party, yes everyone needs to be insured: you for having ponies on your field, them for “their belonging’s third party insurance” in that particular case the ponies, and don’t forget the fence, even if built by others that’s on your field so you need to insure this as well (public liability) mostly if it’s electrified (if not that’s just part of the standard land insurance probably already included on your home&content insurance).

You should make sure everyone’s pony is insured before accepting it on your land otherwise the blame will fall back in you (with twice the strength) in case anything goes wrong.

Finally the fact that “three of us insuring for the same thing”. Well you’re not really insuring the same thing. Sure you’re insuring the same “item” but not for the same risks or level of risks. This is your land so anything that happens on it is your responsibility (yes, even if the guys on it are burglars), if something on your property is not insured and if something happens then that’s straight to big trouble and potentially to court so this is no joke. You should know that if anything happens to the poney then they can blame you (even if things go well right now I’ve seen a situation similar to yours were the landlord’s dog bite a horse which turned into an infection and they had to put the horse down
 I guess you can imagine how it ended? A clue: they were not friends anymore and didn’t hi to each other in trial).

The 3 ponies need to be insured by each owner just in case they damage your property or others (and again, even a burglar). If someone walks onto your field and get rammed by a pony (highly unlikely but still possible) then the first person that’s going to be sued is you
 without insurance you would be considered at fault immediately so you want to avoid that. Then if you’re insured and your friends aren’t the blame will fall back on you (because you didn’t check they were insured so they’ll consider that’s your fault) and you would not be insured for that particular “use of the ponies” so you would not be covered and therefore, back to big troubles.

Sorry about the long read but it’s important to understand the technicalities of this to get a better understanding of why we ask for insurance for each. It’s also why sometimes you want to help and “it’s okay if we’re not insured” but you would be the only one at risk as in France the owner bears the full responsibility if there is an insurance gap.

Let me know if you have any other questions?

9 Likes

I notice that nowhere has the health of these three ponies been mentioned. Have they been wormed etc.
I think it is important that all three owners and yourself know that the health of these ponies is up to scratch before they share a field.
You do say that they will not be on the land all year round, but land can get ‘horse sick’ if it is only ponies or horses kept on the same piece of land.
Also who will be going round doing the picking up?

1 Like

For ridding most people take a licence FFE. Thats a copy of a page of my licence
. My protection civile included in my house insurance covers me for other aspects Ă©quin if they escape for exemple and trash the vines or hit a car ! Plus the horses are mentioned in my house insurance policy.
I am also registred as a horse Keeper with the Haras National. They need to know where horses are in case of outbreaks of diseases. They are also allowed to come and check they are looked after properly ie Shelter, food drink and can ask for dates of last worming product given.
Look at the Haras National website also they are very clear if you phone them up.
Most people ask owners to sign a contract which sets out who is responsable for what. If one is sick and you cannot contact the owner and you call out the Ă©quin vet, who pays the bill for exemple?.
Good Luck.

3 Likes

I think Fiona has had good advice so I hope everyone won’t mind if I ask a related question which her question and @fabien’s answer has alerted me to.

I have a long term foster dog living with me, the latest of many. I pay for his food and supply all his other needs, apart from vet costs, just as if he was mine and I assume that he is covered in the normal way (not being legally ‘dangerous’) by my own house insurance. But should I make sure that he is also covered by the rescue association that owns him too?

You’re the textbook example of perfectly insured, great job :+1:

Morning David, cats & dogs are almost always automatically covered on the home insurance policy but that wouldn’t hurt to double check just in case you’re in the 1% or 2% of the policies that don’t cover that.

In terms of dogs, all breed are covered except for “1st & 2nd category dogs” (chien de 1Ăšre et 2Ăšme catĂ©gorie) which are basically attack dogs. They need to be separately insured.

Technically speaking, if the dog isn’t yours (not adopted and no vet bills under your name) then you’re not really liable for him/her but this a legally blur area so better safe than sorry and I would advise insurance anyway although it’s probably already included on your home insurance.

Kind regards,

1 Like

Thank you Fabien, I do know that my own dogs are covered by my multi risque but may I take small issue with you regarding ‘dangerous dogs’?

Until he died 18 months ago at 12 and a half years of age, my gentle Rottweiler, Boss, was required to have separate insurance, which was difficult to obtain and very expensive when I managed it, despite being not an ‘attack dog’ of categorie 1, but a garde dog of categorie 2.

1 Like

indeed :+1:

Not quite correct,2nd category dogs (defense) do not come under household insurance either. I have Rottweilers and have to provide numerous paperwork including confirmation of rabies vaccine to enable me to be covered.

Yes David quite correct. My boys are insured separately however, I found an insurance company that issues the certificate of insurance free of charge within your main insurance for the house, Groupama
 I also insure the land and horses for responsibility civil and insure my car, so don’t know if this is why zero charge.

Yes, I was merely pointing at the fact that dogs from a certain “category” are not covered by the home insurance but as I’m seing many comments about this I’ve edited my answer to avoid ambiguity :wink: And I’ve also confirmed David’s statement :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I wish I’d found Groupama, but I am almost sure I did and got no joy. If you got a deal from them very well done. I had been insured for everything for years with Aviva and asked them to cover Boss, but they said only if he was level 1 of ‘dangerosity’. I went to 2 vets, the first can’t have thought he was dangerous as she asked me to let him off the lead un-muzzled in the public road outside but still gave him level 2. Thus Aviva refused point blank. The 2nd vet commented how gentle he was and definitely would be level 1 but then, when the documents came though the post. Level 2 again. I got the distinct impression that both of them did not have the courage of their convictions. Eventually a firm called ECA agreed but only if I took out complete insurance for him at €300 pa. :astonished: I had no choice, I needed it to get the attestation from the Maire, but when the documents came through the actual cost of his 3rd party, the only thing I wanted (I have never insured my dogs, mainly because they have all been older and I have preferred to pay for them myself at the vets), was only €60 pa. Total rip off.

I didn’t renew for the 2nd year and hoped that the Maire did not come to check, he didn’t, but then he had come to the house, met the dog and knew full well that he was no threat to anything, neither man nor beast. Even a stray cat came into the house one day and, after staring at each other for a minute, both advanced to touch noses. :laughing:

It’s a shame the Rottweiler breed is frowned upon in France, I’ve had them for 40 years, and my choice of breed in the right hands. The last 2 I’ve had were destined to be put down, as they couldn’t be placed so I took them in. The owners were ordered by the Judge to hand them over. They have been rehabilitated and both scored 1 (the best) when they went for their evaluation, which is mandatory, and think that’s what you were referring to? You also need a certificate of D’aptitude which will be given entitling you to keep dangerous dogs 1 and level 2 (Rottweilers) after completing a course and considered competent to handle them. The Mairie will then issue an authorization to keep the animal after seeing the passport with chip and confirmation of the rabies vaccination. All this is needed for the insurance so if you didn’t get that lot that may be why you paid so much. Incidentally, we returned to the UK winter last and stayed at my sons’, my boy adapted well and loved his walks in the forest meeting up with others, all were friendly and he loved the cuddles. Here, I’m given a wide berth and French friends (not all) will only visit if I put him out the back, they are petrified. Luckily I have a lot of land so he can have a run. I don’t take him to public places here other than in the car as they have to be muzzled which he hates.