Insuring Non French Vehicle

The saga continues: does anyone know of and, preferably, used successfully an insurance company for a non French reg. motorcycle? I have to present the green paper that France is accustomed to. They will not accept my Spanish cover albeit clear that France is covered.

I would try Fabien, via thé links at the top of the page.

1 Like

@fabien

1 Like

There’s no reason why you should have problems gaining Insurance cover… all foreigners coming to France go through this… so long as you can show you are in the throes of changing to French Immatriculation all will be well…
Have you actually had difficulties… ??

@fabien is a tried and tested (and trusted) contact…

1 Like

Hi @Jovis ,

It depends, motorcycle insurance is not a very competitive market in France and therefore they aren’t many insurers on the market which limits the options. The DREAL does expect a French policy indeed and they won’t settle for anything else. Insuring a foreign registered vehicle is quite easy in France considering you do intend to import under French plates BUT that logic ends in the motorcycle business. For motorcycle it’s more complex although not impossible. It also depends on the type of motorcycle, all-road motorbikes are harder to insure for example.

1 Like

I insured mine with Axa, while on UK plates, but it was just before the end of the Brexit transition period and I know it’s getting more difficult.

Insurance from any other country is irrelevant, if you want to register it in France then you must have a French insurance policy, just like you need a UK policy to register in the UK. A good rule of thumb is to forget anything you’ve ever known about registering vehicles elsewhere :blush: