International Driving Licence for car rentals.?

Thanks Irene, sounds like Europcar Fr dont want much business going forward, good to know as I can warn our friends to go elsewhere.

From the Gov.uk website:

You do not need an IDP to drive in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein if you have a photocard driving licence issued in the UK.

So it sounds like Europcar are just doing their own French bureaucratic thing on this one. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

If the IDP is only £7 then it could be worth investing in one just in case!

(actually I’ve just checked on the Post Office website and the cost is £5.50)

The Gov.uk site points out that the IDP may be needed for car hire in some countries (e,g, Saudi Arabia and the Phillippines) so maybe that’s where Europcar got their ideas from…

2 Likes

Sounds like it’s the well known “paper reflex” when confronted with anything new or unknown.

OH used to have an IDP when we lived in UK. We used it for driving anywhere outside GB. It wasn’t rocket science to get one and although we never got asked for it, it felt fine knowing it was in the travel pack.

Car must have had a massive fuel tank!!??

1 Like

People used to get IDP’s as they could be left with Continental campsites when a piece of ID was required to be held by the campsite office during the stay apparently, as that way the passport could be held onto.

2 Likes

Oh really… we never went camping… ours was for driving in those days…

My daughter said that she felt that the IDP was used as a translation. She got one at her local PO on the morning of her flight and they tried to tell her she did not need an IDP. She did check up and found French Car hire companies MAY ask for them but they are not necessary for driving in France if you have a UK driving licence. I guess I will have to get an IDP just in case the local garage wants proof when it loans me a car while mine is in for services. Come to think of it they have never asked for any documentation except the Carte grise.
By the way, Jen said that the fuel was much cheaper here but also said going through customs at Stanstead was horrendous - very long delays.
Thanks for your help

If you’re talking about a loan car from a French garagist… nope, we’ve never been asked for our licences either.
Ours are now French as it happens, but we’ve never needed to show either of them. They just take the CG of whichever car they’re going to work on (and the keys)… and, if a loan car is offered, OH will take it but I won’t… I hate LHD cars (but that’s another story).

Only if you need one, they last 3 years and take about 5-6 weeks to be issued. ANTS online really easy. Also free of charge.

1 Like

Thanks, I do drive a French Registered Car here but have not yet had to renew my British Driving licence. However as I occaisionally hire cars in France it seems sensible - just in case! I shall go on ANTS online.

Never knew that.

Mind you my standard response to anyone who wants to go camping is “Fine, as long as you have one of those Harry Potter tents which is actually a 5* hotel inside”.

You really shouldn’t need one, it’s the hire car company applying the wrong rules, a UK licence is legally accepted in France without the IDP.

But if you want to apply for one you can. You would do better to show the hire car company the French official documentation of the agreement.

1 Like

As an IDP is only a translation many organisation can issue them, RAC, AA, my granny :joy: (well that last one might not be true). They are pretty well useless unless one is travelling to a country that uses a different script.

I got it as a precaution when I hired a car on Guadeloupe, having an IDP issued by ANTS seemed the most sensible approach. :wink:

I think there must be some misunderstanding chez Europacar. I’ve hired cars all over the World with no hassle. Including in war torn Lebanon in the day and up the Zambezi :joy: We hired a car in Naples last week from Hertz, no issues. The one thing to watch out for is filling up before returning (but that been the case for yonks). Bringing it back less that full meant €2.241 a litre and €36 refuelling charge. Also, as I’m sure everyone knows, it’s better to take out an annual CDW policy than pay the hire companies rip off rates. One rental of three or four days pays for an annual policy.

I think those would be more amenable than some poorly paid klutz on car hire desk at Stansted airport

2 Likes

If you are no longer a UK resident you are not entitled to apply for an IDP from the Post Office. France will issue an IDP for a UK licence on ANTS, plus it lasts 3 years and is free.

1 Like

Thanks Kim. I will get one just in case! Xxx