Internet drops-off same time of day...any thoughts as to why?

It’s when the gamer living in your attic gets going :wink:

I was waiting for it this morning… mobile and landline phones in my pockets as today is a busy day and I’m expecting loads of calls… …Anyway, 8.30am came and went, with no problems… hurrah… the gremlins have gone somewhere else…

1 Like

Think that you have sent them here Stella :fearful:
I am on the ’ limit’ for signals in my bit of rural paradise, there isn’t a day goes by that my Internet doesn’t play up, usually when I am having to do important ‘work’.
Can’t tell you what my speeds are, guess it depends on how quickly who is manning the cycle is pedalling. :laughing: I have checked on a couple of providers but my house always comes up on the edges of shaded areas on the maps.
Mind you I once had EDF tell me my house didn’t even exist !

1 Like

Seems it’s not just me … the Mairie… just up the road… have problems too

Different provider but falling offline or going slow, slower…stop. :roll_eyes:

Tempers have been fraying today… :expressionless::frowning_face:

Do you know if you have a decent 3G signal?

We have a 3G signal but I don’t really know whether it’s decent or not. I make very few calls using my mobile at home but they always work OK. I always connect my phone to the Livebox when I’m at home so no idea about the internet connection.

Interesting article…

That’s interesting. for the last week my Orange line had been dropping out at about 7.am with a notice on the livebox ‘Orange research non-detecté’ … for about a minute then it automatically reconnects. It might happen two or three times in a half hour and then is OK for the rest of the day. Wonder if it is over-use … we have teenage kids down the road!

Might be worth turning wifi off and seeing what speed you get on the Ookla speedtest site. Try both inside and outside the house.

You can buy 3G/4G routers, basically the same as the Bouygues 4G box but not tied to a particular network - if you are lucky this might give you a better internet speed.

I do have a bit of a caveat though which is that you will need a SIM which has a good data allowance - ideally a dedicated data SIM and I’m not sure how tolerant French networks are of using this sort of kit outside of their own packages. I did use a 3G router successfully on a Three account when roaming before we got the Internet sorted but, obviously, that’s a UK network.

But the starting point is to see what speeds you get on the speedtest site/app.

1 Like

I think the old ADSL twisted pair issues of being at the end of junction boxes, are largely insurmountable.

The gamers in the street will undoubtedly grab bandwidth from other neighbours. Unfortunately it is a first come first served, and not how much you pay.

Deals are better for 4G , if you are within the signal ranges - so that is one option.

One option is to snip the neighbours phone line.

There is also something else that can affect the connectivity, between the in-house router, and the device in use. Most people use a device with Wifi, and not RJ45 ethernet cable.
The use of wifi, normally requires that each device, normally matches the channel of its wireless network port, to that of the router.
In the UK, it is common for router to device to be either both on chanel 1, or 11, or one on Ch1 and the other on Ch11 ( as they can pair).
In a previous job i looked after people who had company supplied broadband equipment; and often they would log a problem with connectivity…or bad connection.
I found that by changing the channel of either their router, or their device , to match that of the other; solved a lot of problems.

Thanks Paul. Something to think about.

The infrastructure will be the same… usually Orange. It’s just that other providers rent the infrastructure from them. You can’t make a silk purse out of sow’s ear… If the basic infrastructure is unable to cope with the demands placed on it, it needs beefing up or replacing altogether with fibre.

We had a similar spate of drop-offs recently. 08:15 and 11:45 and 14:30 were the common times to suddenly lose connectivity, or experience a dramatic reduction in speed. This continued on and off for a week period, most days it would occur. We took a different route to get to Naucelle during that period, and I noticed that a lot of the telephony cables and their supporting poles were being replaced/upgraded. The work finished, and the interruptions stopped.
It make sens to me that if the infrastructure is being interrupted it would impinge on network speeds as various components renegotiate new routes.

I wonder whether the regular loss of connection that Stella asked about is a more local issue.

It is often the case that Internet speeds slow at peak hours - this is not so much the gamer next door but can be everyone in a local area using an overloaded backhaul fibre connection to the ISP or it can be an ISP who gets overloaded because they don’t have enough capacity to deal with peak demand.

But the way Stella describes it I wonder whether there is something else going on - Stella, is yours an overhead phone line? Could anything “jiggle” the line and/or its connection, eg local traffic passing at the same time each day causing vibration or air movements to affect the line?

Hi Everyone…

Righto… cables come underground … since the whole village was “beautified” in about 2012 .

I, too, was thinking…who is doing what at this time??? and wondered if it was the Mairie (opens at 8.30am)… but no… happened one day when the Mairie opened late…so not them.

Frankly, I agree , it is a local happening. If it really miffs me I will make further serious enquiries… but, at the moment, more important things have suddenly entered my life.

Cheers everyone… I am calling this subject Closed now.

1 Like