Internet Fraud - How to Report It

2 Likes

Ahhh! Quite timely for me.

Searching how to pay the Taxe for a new Tître de Séjour cards for OH and myself after moving and change of address, I was guided by Google to www.mesdemarches-info-enligne.fr. €25 + €25 Duly paid via Carte Bleue.

On visit to the Prefecture for the appointed rendezvous today we sadly discover this was a scam website and our €50 is perdue Hopefully, not to the Russian war cause.:angry:

As it evolved, the staff at the Prefecture could not of been more sympathetic and helpful. They sent us to a local Tabac where we could pay bonafide taxe and we scurried 15 minutes there and back and were processed immediately upon our return.

I remain grateful and pleased to be in possession of a TdS and just want to alert you all to be Very Very wary when following links online through any bureaucratic requirements. :relieved:

1 Like

Useful:

2 Likes

I imagine that quite a few Brits will get caught up as nearly everything is done on line.
Can you pls let us know the procedure you took (other than dodgy websites).

I’m glad your Prefecture were so helpful… and you got your TdS.

It’s a sign of the times that the French Govt Service Publique has actually found it necessary to make this link/site available, in an attempt to catch/stop the Baddies and help the Goodies get reparation.

Hi Wozza,
I’m not fully remembering what I did online that hooked me to the scam website, it was a couple of months ago.

However, what I do know is this:

We received emails confirming our new cards would be issued and ready for collection at the Prefecture - appointment to be made online. Did that.

The letter included instructions to pay a €25 Taxe and bring the confirmation to the rendezvous. No link listed on site.

In order to pay the tax online I duly Googled the question and that was probably my mistake. The scam website used the Mesdemarches header to confuse, www.mesdemarches-info-enligne.fr with gouve logo and all other info, so I didn’t question. I think where I was at fault was not ensuring it was a .gouve site but I assumed one pays elsewhere, as in a Tabac.

With the best will in the world all this ‘clic link’ activity is going to catch us up some time. I’m just glad it was easily rectified and didn’t cost us our entire fiscal Taxe or worse. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I also hope the €€ I sent to Ukraine wasn’t another scam😓

1 Like

Here’s what I found out after the fact

A bit consoling to discover I wasn’t the only sad sac victim